Eye infection?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlshepherd

Hi

My female chinchilla has had dampness around her eyes for a while. I looked online as soon as I saw it appear and all I read was that if she was eating, drinking, pooping and seemed herself then its nothing I should be concerned about and that it will go away soon. It's been a few weeks and no change, she still hasn't changed how she acts or eats etc but the dampness has not gone down. At first I thought it might have been sand irritating her eye after a bath but now I'm not so sure. It's only one eye that is affected, she shares a cage with another, a male (castrated) and both his eyes are perfectly fine.

If it's something that will go away on its own then great, because she hates being handled. She's not antisocial, she will let you touch her, but she will NOT let you hold her. Last time I took her to the vet it really affected her mood afterwards and would not let me go near her. :(

I have attached an image of her eye. Thanks!

11129982_1659934780896654_1826493251_n.jpg

Is it both eyes at the same time? Did it come on sudden and is it allergy season where you are? Any changes in bedding or environment? I have had a couple who were diagnosed with allergies-one to pine bedding, one to alfalfa hay and one to seasonal allergies from flowers and the such. If its no to my question, then the chin should go to the vet for dental x-rays, the odds of both eyes at the same time being caused by teeth would be extremely rare.

Hi thanks for your reply.

It's only one eye. Not both. Her teeth seem fine, she is eating and drinking okay and doesn't look like she is in pain. It didn't suddenly happen I think I started to notice it a little bit but it hasn't got any worse than in the picture. It sometimes goes down a little but never gone. As far as I'm aware I haven't changed anything in the cage. We did move house a few months ago and she got spoilt by my boyfriend while I was away on a trip and he said she had a sand bath every night! Which is not what she is used to. But i don't think it's the baths that have done it as it hasn't gone and I've taken the bath away from her to see if it settles. The only thing I can think of is that the stuff I wash the fleece tunnels in has changed. Do you think that could have affected her? The other chinchilla is completely fine, then again, like humans I suppose different chinchillas react to different things.

Im an owner of 2 years of very healthy chins, so for what this is worth medically-
Yuki poked his eye with hay while eating (that's what we think did it with at least). His one eye watered for a day and went away on it's own. (vet was out of town and the emergency backup told us to wait since there were no other symptoms except one watery eye) He tended to hold it closed and wasn't great at jumping with it closed/watery. When I asked for help I was asked some stuff for clarity and I read whatever I could find on the forum.

Does he fuss at his mouth? pawing at it? that's a sign towards teeth issues.
I don't see any redness or goo, but those may be signs of an infection.
You mentioned bath sand. I think some other countries call their dust sand, but double check your using a dust like product similar to blue cloud dust in the US- you dont want stuff as gritty as sand. That could definitely scratch their eye which can lead to further issues.
Allergies are another possibility like Dawn said.

Whatever's going on, personally I'd go to the vet since it hasn't cleared up on it's own. I dont know what can be done for allergies besides removing the allergin, but for eye scratches there are drops and dental issues need further treatment. I'd rather have a mad but healthy chin than not go in when it could help.

It's only the one eye and I'm certain her teeth are fine. She eats and does not seem to be in pain. I'm wondering if it's worth to just wait and see. The stress of taking her to the vet will be really strong on her. Obviously if it's a serious problem she will be taken to the vet whether she likes it or not!

One thing you need to know is that it isn't an eye infection. If it was your chinny would go downhill rapidly fast. More than likely it's an eye irritation. Most vets get both the above confused. I've even known chinnys get irritations from change of season (summer etc). Your best bet is to get your chinny into a burrito (towel folded like a burrito with him/her inside) and wipe their eyes with clean, fresh water on an ear bud. Worked a treat for mine. Do this twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) and it should do the trick.

Back