Eye infection

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrian_knight

One of my chin looks like she has an eye infection. I have an apt tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything I should do for her until then?

SO far I've removed her from her large cage and placed her in a smaller one with less gaps to prevent her from falling. Plus the cage is currently clean and I plan to fully wash the other one.

Thanks

You can rinse the eye out with some plain saline solution. That will help to wash away any debris or puss or anything else that may be irritating the eye.

The vet will probably give you some antibiotic drops or some ointment for the eye, those will clear it up very quickly - in a matter of a few days. I hope she feels better soon. :)

Thanks!

I'm a little afraid to try to put anything in her eyes that I don't know if it is good for her or not. Plus she's a fighter so she'll probably not want it done.

Plain saline solution wouldn't hurt anything...it's saline solution that you would use to rinse off contacts. That's just about the only thing that would be completely safe to put in her eyes....

There's not much else I would recommend doing...you asked for advice.

The only thing I would add is to not give her access to her dust bath while her eye issues are ongoing. And, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling her.

Saline is perfectly safe to use. If she has a bunch of crap in her eye, she's going to feel a lot better after having it rinsed out so she can see clearly gain. They use saline on newborn babies to rinse their eyes - it isn't going to hurt your chin.

Back