expected weight gain after weaning?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhluvsmh

Whisker Kisses Addict
Ok veteran breeders...Ember and Sable are the youngest and smallest babies I have ever had. What is a reasonable weight gain per week or is ANY gain good? They are awesome eaters, both hay and pellets. I do weight checks on all the girls every couple weeks but just want some guidelines since I have never had such younguns! They are 11 weeks, by the way.

It's hard to give you a number on that. With baby chins they will sometimes gain a few grams in a week and then turn around and gain 40 or 50 the next week. I would say that as long as they are gaining a little in any given week, they are okay.

Since they are eating their pellets and hay and are in good health and acting normally, they should be fine. You need to watch for weight loss of more than a few grams, poor appetite, lethargy...all the same things that tip you off that there is a problem with adults.

It's really hard to determine health by following weight gain in the young ones. Definitely keep watching their weights and make sure that they are eating. Usually at 11 weeks most babies are little pellet and hay hogs...just like they are supposed to be! :D

Thanks Susan! I know there is no norm for adult weights (my big girls are all over the place) but I just want to be sure these little stinkers are thriving.

Back