Ernie's Playtime!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Alex~

It was hard for me to take pics of this because he was running EVERYWHERE!

I recently bought a pop-up dog playpen for Ernie so that it would be a bit easier to give him play time in a safe environment and easy clean-up.

I had a bit of lapse in judgement and just put him into it and he was not very happy a few days ago and was a little stressed from it. So this time around I decided to see if it would fit into the space between his cage and how the doors of them would match up. Well perfect match!

I openned the door and put the playpen right up to the cage so he could go freely into both. he seemed much happier with this set up and was running thru his tube and being super hyper! He's such a cutie!

I also like this set up better because he has free access to his water thru out his playtime which he took full advantage of. I'll probably expand this setup into the hallway.

For such a laid back little guy the second he's given the prospect of going out of his cage he's like an unstoppable force! He will even go as far as to push me out of the way so he can get out hehe~ But no playtime is complete if I'm not in there with him apparently. I have to sit in the playpen with him or else he throws a fit especially since he has nothing to actually climb on unless im in there.

Anyone got any suggestions on his climbing addiction for playtime?

Theres two pictures attached of the setup and him being adorable!

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 57
Yeah....it seems like he needs to have someone there to verify that it's okay to come out. He really enjoys attention being that he is Ernie. He needs to have that affirmation that it's okay to come out.

He must be in heaven right now. Seriously, he has ONE special human all to himself! Lucky little guy. (Play him some country music....he loves George Strait.)

Last edited:
Thanks Susan! He's super interesting in that fact. He loves when I'm sitting by his cage and just talking with him too (I do it almost constantly when I'm home)

I'm lucky to have such a well behaved little guy like my ernie bear <3 I'll definitely have to get him some country then! So far he's been watching cartoons or disney channel when I'm out (the things that I know dont make scary sounds) usually I do disney channel since its so music oriented. <3

Love this guy soo much <3

Love your playpen setup but I don't know if it's because I'm viewing this on a small screen or what but I can't see Ernie... :confused:

ETA: I think I see him in the last pic, is he up against the wall of the playpen?

Yea its a very blurry pic but in the last pic he's up against the screen looking out.

haha it totally could be compared to that! I'm stuck in a era I wasnt even alive in apparently :p haha

I took a few more pics of him today during play with an actual camera this time! No cute ones but atleast you're not trying to identify a mysterious outline. hehe <3

He definitely is a good boy! though the other day when I completely cleaned out his cage and gave it a quick rinse on the spots he peed at (everywhere) I put the box he sits on back in there and was putting his shelves back in and he decided to do a bit remodeling of his own! He pushed the box out from the corner leaving nearly perfect space on the two sides. He then went to the front realized it was off the ledge and pushed it back so it was perfectly at the ledge. I think he may be a little OCD..haha

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
He could definitely be OCD. He's such a good boy though. Clean and well organized. Remind me to bring his little stuffed animals sometime, I found them a couple of days ago.

This is one super clean, wonderful chinchilla. Tell Ernie I love him! He's just a super awesome little chin. :)

He's sweet. Ernie looks very happy with you. Have Susan make you a bug. They are adorable and chins love to destroy them. :D

how adorable he is!! He looks very happy with you! Love that he is OCD, haha

my Delilah's cage is always clean except for the poop, where as the other girls cage looks like a tornado hit it an hour after being cleaned! They are all little characters!

So I have a story from today! talk about an angry chin! For valentines I spent most of my day out and about. I'm always gone for classes and am back between 1-2 but today I only came home momentarily, checked on him and then left to surprise my bf with his vday gift. When I got home about half an hour ago...oh god it was terrible. Ernie peed ALL OVER the wall and his shoe box that he was moving and then SHREDDED up some of his vine toys. He NEVER shreds his toys he his a nice chewer. And...I left my headphones on the sheet on top of his cage like I do almost every night. He sat there and pulled the wires off the sheet and into his cage and chewed a section off of it and threw it everywhere (I did check to make sure I found all the wire none of it appears to have been ingested at all)

And my god is he shunning me! He's acting normal in moving around but is totally ignoring me and looking mad at me...I think he is very mad that I did not come home today like usual and spend the amount of time I usually do with him! I've heard people say their chins will get mad at them but holy cow! I will really need to make it up to him tomorrow!

But thanks everyone Im glad he looks happy :) despite his little temper tantrum today...

Back