Enraged

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted it's not a sick chinchilla, but we drive more then 2 hours to chin shows with them all the time. Keep the car cool, keep him in a small dark carrier, and he should be able to handle the drive. If it's a bumpy ride--take it slow and easy on the way home as to not cause him anymore discomfort then he is already having.

It may be worth trying, especially if this is the only option you have other then putting him down.

I don't know how far it is from you, but have you tried Yorba Regional? They are a PITA to deal with and they can be expensive, but not $3000 expensive. They usually have an exotics surgeon there 24/7. They do know what they are doing and I trust their ability to perform surgery on a chinchilla. I just choose not to deal with them if I don't absolutely 100% have to.

Yorba Regional Animal Hospital
8290 E Crystal Dr.
Anaheim Hills, CA
Tel: (714) 921-2500

I took my chin here because he was in pain since my original vet was not around at this time a long time ago They wanted to charge $1700.00 did not guarantee surgery would work or not. The exotic vet was not in at that time. I have to agree with Tabitha about not dealing with them unless I have too. They never did help me. I went to 2 different vets in 3 days. The last vet said she can take the stone out. She was not able to because it was in his pelvic area unless I got a orthopedic surgeon. She called 2 vets for advice, plus my original doctor they both said it is impossible to get the stone in that area. He ended being euthanized after $1800.00. I did all that I can have done for him in my mind.

I wish you luck.

Well I'm at the vet right now. They're draining his bladder. I have him scheduled for Monday at 11 for surgery...this is really frustrating because I start school Monday....ugh

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

They're keeping him till Monday. The vet said if he needs to be drained again she will do it for free since I've been there just about everyday this week ..kind of relieved..

Avian exotic. Off the 8

I would not be relieved to leave him there until Monday. Unless their policy has changed, which I doubt, they do not have anyone with the animals overnight. They are not open on Sunday and I have no idea if or how long anyone goes for on Sunday to take care of the animals.

Well I can only hope for the best then. He will be able to get surgery earlier Monday now too since I start school. I'm more comfortable with him getting operated on earlier monday morning. I'm sorry if you see things different.

And also...if there's animals staying there that need daily medication...wouldn't it seem as if someone would have to go in to administer it??

And also...if there's animals staying there that need daily medication...wouldn't it seem as if someone would have to go in to administer it??

One would hope. I just didn't want you to be under the impression that someone was going to be there keeping an eye on him and treating him at any sign of distress.

Ultimately, it is your choice to do what you feel most comfortable doing and making the best decision under your own circumstances.

Well they drained his bladder today. Its a shot in the dark as to if he's going to get obstructed again. He lasted all day yesterday..but I just hope he doesn't get obstructed again.

I'm not speaking on this vet, but based on my vet, Our Vet is closed on Sunday as well but they do have people go in not sure if it's just once or not, as animals do stay over, So maybe thats what that vet does as well. Again, I cant speak for them, but thats just my guess, but every vet might not do that.

Hoping your little one does good.

Just got a call from the vet! He said Gizmo did extremely well with his surgery, and I get to get him tomorrow!! YAY!!!!!!!!! :D

Back