Enclosed or open sided?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer open/wire cages or enclosed/wooden ones?

• Total voters

Tennyson

T&C Chinchillas
I've been longing to build my own cage with 3 enclosed sides to help with cleaning :) But I see some people prefer open sides to allow the chin more viewing area-thoughts? And which would you prefer...a wire cage or enclosed wooden one.

I prefer open, it allows for more ventilation. And more viewing possibilities..... Plus miner make just as big of a mess either way. Lol

I like it the same as Dawn, they make less of a mess. And they don't chew on my wall anymore. o_O

I voted "enclosed on three sides." I have a home built melamine cage that has 3 solid sides, with the front being wire (and most of the top being wire as well). Love the cage. There's significantly less mess (since it's only coming out of the front) than the other cages I have, and I don't see any ventilation problems or anything like that.

http://nwichins.webs.com/chinroom8large.JPG

My cage only has a solid back melamine wall, but the back and front walls are the biggest. It saved me maybe a whole day of building it out of wood and wire. I don't have a super powerful A/C and have noticed slight pockets of heat and humidity in the back of the cage especially when I don't have the fan in my room on, I'd worry about ventilation with 3 solid walls. But if you have a good A/C and good air circulation I don't think the chins will care if they can or can't see out of the sides of the cage. Just personally--knowing I can't afford top quality appliances it's easier to adapt things like how many solid walls are on the cage to stay in budget. I am jealous of how much easier it would be to clean up, though.

I have had the three sided ones since day 1 10 years ago and never had any ventilation problems, their room had a ceiling fan that runs on med whenever they are in there.

I have had the three sided ones since day 1 10 years ago and never had any ventilation problems, their room had a ceiling fan that runs on med whenever they are in there.

I have no ceiling fans and live in a weirdly shaped second story apartment so air doesn't flow very well even when we have standing fans going. Most of the windows aren't placed in spots where it would help air circulation either and there aren't many of them to begin with. I'm not saying ventilation is inherently a problem in three walled cages, just if you live in a crappy apartment without good fans or a way to easily circulate air like I do.

Other than that, the only drawback I can think of solid walls is the weight if you move them. But you can attach shelves and things more sturdily and I would think it would cut down the noise of cage crazy. Whenever my chin popcorns and runs in her cage it's always the reverberation of the wire that I hear. Plus, mounting her wheel onto a solid wall has cut down on the noise of it so I can't really hear it and can definitely sleep through it while it's about 7 feet away from me.

Other than that, the only drawback I can think of solid walls is the weight if you move them. But you can attach shelves and things more sturdily and I would think it would cut down the noise of cage crazy. Whenever my chin popcorns and runs in her cage it's always the reverberation of the wire that I hear. Plus, mounting her wheel onto a solid wall has cut down on the noise of it so I can't really hear it and can definitely sleep through it while it's about 7 feet away from me.

I have my melamine cage on casters. Don't get me wrong, it's still not light as a feather, but it does significantly help if I need to move it.

I have chin spins for almost every cage we have, one of them being mounted in the melamine cage. Quietest chin spin ever. You can still hear it spin, don't get me wrong, but it's a TON quieter than the ones mounted in my quality cages and other cages. It doesn't rattle the entire cage the way the other ones do.

ETA: Not sure if this has ever happened to someone else, but just thought I'd mention... Make sure, if you make a melamine cage, that it will fit through your door frame if you plan on moving anytime in the foreseeable future. We built my melamine cage without taking that into account...and while I haven't had to move yet, I may be moving in Feb...... I have measured the cage, and measured the doorways... and it looks like it may just barely fit.. by like a half a centimeter (it may very well not fit, my measurements could be off). If I ever build another one, I will take that into account, especially if I have to take this one partially apart to get it out.

Last edited:
Back