Emergency Kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about a B.O.B as well.

I'd add a few heavy duty ziploc bags to store these items in. They come in handy as storage as well as being water resistant. Fold up a few plastic grocery bags as well, table top football style.

I try to have safty pins on me everwhere I go they come in handy for when there's no time to sew.

In my camping gear I carry emergency candels for light and fire starter; trick birthday candels are good. My vaseline soaked cotton balls are carried inside an old 35mm film canister; the canister could double as a bobber onece empty. I just obtained a magnesium fire starter, but have not tried it yet. Thinking of looking into getting a flint and steel as well.

I've got a pocket chainsaw. A colapsable cup, metal chopsticks. Tiny magnifying glass is attached to my compass.

Hand towel size shammy or microfiber towel.

Sunscreen, bug repellant, some sort of antihistamine, tums, eyedrops, travel size container of bagbalm (works as a moisturizer for skin, lips, wounds, and fire starter), dental floss, couple sharp tweezers as well. Chemical ice packs. Reusable heat packs, the kind with the metal disk in them you boil to reuse.

Foodwise: bouillon cubes, mint tea bags, jerkey, hard candy, powerbars, granola bars.

On the fem hygiene products, tampons and pads double as wound dressing. If you're thinking long term multiple use though, some people do make their own washable pads out of flannel. In which case you'd need some way to disinfect them after use. I'm not sure if boiling alone would be enough to kill pathogens.

I'd also throw in a deck of cards, a bit of wire, leather gloves, and condoms.

I wrote a 7 page Zombie Apocalypse strategy guide and survival kit booklet my senior year for my Honors English. It's pretty intense. :) I'm glad I am not the only one preparing.

A evacuation and having to live who knows where in their carriers would be stressful and the ability to dust is something they enjoy. Laugh all you want but it is what I would do for my chinchillas in that situation.

I agree with Dawn!!!

And, you could always borrow a little bit of dust from the chinnies to use as dry shampoo for yourself!!! :thumbsup:

Bags are a good point. I usually have safety pins on the vast majority of my clothes and bags just sort of attached, too. People always think it's silly but it's come in handy plenty of times!
Some of this stuff I have on hand, just hadn't thought to put in my kit. The bug repellent might be a good addition, especially since mine is an all natural one. I just picked up some of the reusable heat packs in Finland and they are the best.
What do you recommend the wire for? The leather gloves make sense and I won't need the condoms (unless you can think of other handy things they're usable for outside the obvious). I knew that the feminine products double as first aid, plus you can use dip them in vasoline too. I like things that double for extra benefit in the kit.
My husband says the magnesium kits take some practice, but are really easy once you learn the trick to it. It's just not something to have to learn on the spot when you need fire in a hurricane or something.

I have it somewhere, I'll have to look on my old computer. :))

My mom said I should try to turn it into a book.

I won't need the condoms (unless you can think of other handy things they're usable for outside the obvious).

Condoms are actually great as an air and moisture proof wound seal (to protect gauze and such when going through water) for an arm or lower leg. They stretch much more than most people think. Because they are so elastic, they hug the skin on either side of the wound dressing. They can also hold quite a bit of water (3-7 gallons depending size). And if all else fails......
BALLOON ANIMALS!!!

Hahahaha on the balloon animals.

I wouldn't have ever thought of them for wound dressing covers, but that is such a good idea.

Back