Eating Aspen bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurilla22

So after i saw my chin chewing on his Carefresh bedding the other day i decided to switch them to Aspen. As soon as i put the pan in the cage both of my chins grabbed some of the Aspen and starting eating it.
Is this safe for them? I watched them because at first i thought they were just chewing it but it seemed to me they were actually eating the bedding.

Do they have plenty of hay? I know that mine do that sometimes when they run out of hay.

Yea. They always have hay in the cage. Maybe they were just testing it out to see what it is. They are major chewers so hopefully that is all they were doing. I just wasn't sure if they are able to digest it properly if they did eat it.

A lot of chins will nibble on the shavings when they get some fresh clean bedding. As long as they do not do this all the time, I would not worry.

My chin was a carefresh eater.....so I switched her to aspen after she sniffed around she did not eat it I also threw sticks and toys to "distract " her from the bedding switch she sure rips them toys apart lol

I feel like my chins just get bored easily so they get into anything they can lol

I know yesterday I got a new willow ball and she ripped it apart on 10 minutes I need to find better toys!! LOL I am shocked at what they do when bored

Back