Easiest Wheel To Stabilize?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EternallyCynical

So, I'm looking to buy a new wheel for Pepper, but I keep hearing people talking about Critter Nation cages having super fragile bars. That being said, whatever wheel I get needs to be one that I can ideally try to rig up to take some of the strain off the bars.

Does anyone know which wheel would be the best to put in a Critter Nation, in terms of not breaking the bars? I'd like to get a Saucer and it seems to me like those would be easy to stabilize since putting something underneath them doesn't prevent the wheel from being used, but I'd like to hear some other people's input since I'm really just speculating.

Don't want to dish out a bunch of money on a suitable wheel just to have it break my cage.... x.x

I believe the silver surfer is light enough not to do bar damage to a CN. They are a little loud sometimes though because they just have 2 wide hooks for hanging on the bars and don't tighten down.

Good to know :) My main concern is that my boy's jumpy and he'll probably be jumping on and off the wheel constantly.... I'm more worried that that kind of downward force will cause the connections to the vertical bars to snap. Would the hooks alleviate that....? When I look at pictures of silver surfers, it looks like there's another bolt or something at the back.... does that do anything? Noise isn't as much of an issue since Pepper's down on the bottom level of the house and everyone sleeps 2 stories up.

I have a CN and just got a flying saucer. It seems pretty stable, and I put a block of wood under the bar for additional support. I've only had it for a couple of days, but Luna runs like a maniac on it and we have had no problems yet!

Back