Ear redness/scratch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinatoandChili

I noticed that my chin Tank was having these red spots around his ears. The first thing I read is that it could be due to extreme temperature levels. We usually have Tank exposed to 60-69 degrees because it seems that he handles it fine. He always like to cozy up in a hammock or somewhere warm. But for the main part, I cancelled out the temperature effect on his ears. I think he could’ve hurt himself accidentally since he’s still young and is very clumsy. He’ll run into things. But could it be anything health wise or related? Just wanted a second opinion to make sure it’s nothing extreme.

I noticed that my chin Tank was having these red spots around his ears. The first thing I read is that it could be due to extreme temperature levels. We usually have Tank exposed to 60-69 degrees because it seems that he handles it fine. He always like to cozy up in a hammock or somewhere warm. But for the main part, I cancelled out the temperature effect on his ears. I think he could’ve hurt himself accidentally since he’s still young and is very clumsy. He’ll run into things. But could it be anything health wise or related? Just wanted a second opinion to make sure it’s nothing extreme.

Attachments

• IMG_4423.mov
    26.7 MB
To me it kind of just looks like possibly burst blood veils, likely from hitting his ear on something. As you said, kits are clumsy so they do commonly get bumps and bruises, just like a little kid, it's just more obvious on chins with pink ears since the lack of pigment allows you to more easily see them. I would just keep an eye on it and make sure the areas don't get bigger or start getting swollen or discolored (like a blister forming or anything like that).

To me it kind of just looks like possibly burst blood veils, likely from hitting his ear on something. As you said, kits are clumsy so they do commonly get bumps and bruises, just like a little kid, it's just more obvious on chins with pink ears since the lack of pigment allows you to more easily see them. I would just keep an eye on it and make sure the areas don't get bigger or start getting swollen or discolored (like a blister forming or anything like that).
Thanks for the help and advice! I appreciate it.

Back