Ear Infection...one week later

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayleykale

I am a long time chinchilla owner and my chinchilla, Pika, is almost 10 years old. I need some advice, as I don't think my vet has correctly diagnosed her.
I came home to find Pika running around in a circle in her cage with nystagmus (quick head turns) to the right. I immediately took her to the vet. He performed X-rays and ruled out any teeth or skull problems.
Based on my prior experience with an ear infection she had 7 years ago, I suggested that may be her problem. He said I was probably correct and prescribed .3ml of chloramphenicol twice a day, as well as a pain killer.
Now it is 1 week later and her nystagmus is no better. She has stopped eating (Critical Care will be delivered tomorrow) and I am hand feeding her.
I am taking her to get a second opinion tomorrow at a different vet.
I can not remember from her previous ear infection if she should be getting better by now. I am going to request Reglan tomorrow.
I don't know how long I should let her continue on like this. She mostly hides in her cage and hops around only when I'm taking her in and out.
Any advice or experience stories would be great. Thank you.

Nystagmus has to do with eye movement, not head. Is it her abnormal head movements that she's still doing?

Ear infections can be tricky. They can cause permanent lasting damage in head tilt, circling, etc. even when the infection is cleared up.

Update

I visited the new vet yesterday. She changed the antibiotic to Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole ie Bactrim/septra. I've been doing critical care 18mL 2-3 x a day. Little to no improvement on the head turning though... I'm wondering if it will ever get better. :(

Back