Dry Erase Board?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I was looking for some melamine boards on the Lowe's website and it gave me whiteboards (like the ones you would use for dry erase markers). I was wondering if it is still OK to use in a chinchilla cage as the size is better and it's lighter.

You can use it as long as the edges are covered so chins can't chew it. It is not safe if chins chew it. I used it for the back of a cage and it worked well. The chins did not chew it. The melamine board I'm talking about can be used in bathrooms. At least that's what it said when I got it 10 years ago. It's light in weight and has a shiny white surface. I guess it looked like you could use it as dry erase board but never tried to use it as such.

I used it on the sides and back of the cage. Not sure how it would hold up on the bottom of the cage. It might get scratched on the bottom or not hold up to wet spots sitting on the surface all the time. If it gets scratched then chins could chew it. It might be worth trying if you do as indicated above and monitor it closely for damage.

If you glued it to something you would have to cover the edges.

Last edited:
I was just going to put it in the cage like a pan right up against the walls of a ferret nation cage. Whiteboards don't soak up water, so it would be similar to tiling it with ceramic tiles or something. I guess I'll just have to see how it holds up to them running around on them.

Back