Dog crates

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
So...I was looking for a portable fold up cage for my chinchilla. they are very expensive and small when I search, however, I searched dog crates and they are very cheap 20-30, and huge and I think they will be great for a temporary cage on vacation or while his cage is getting cleaned. What do you think? As for the width and if he can escape, i saw dog crates at the petstore and i don't think chinchillas could escape from it.it's like a ferret nation bar width. Also..i have seen chinchillas living in dog crates on youtube.

Any opinions, thoughts. http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-1524-...TF8&qid=1420514397&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+crates

For cage cleaning or car trips I think the cheap one would be alright, however I wouldn't reccomend leaving your chinchilla in it for any long period of time. If you got the largest one you would probably be alright using it as a temporary home for a while.

I bought one of the 18 inch ones to use as a travel cage. It seemed fine, I put the boys in it for a few hours a couple days before we left and they hung out and didn't escape. Then we were about 3 hours into our trip and suddenly there was a chinchilla under my gas pedal as I was driving down the highway. The bar spacing is 1.5" which is half an inch bigger than an FN. They can and will get out. We have now covered the entire carrier in hardware cloth and will use it in case of emergency. I do have another one that is bigger, probably 36", and a different brand, that has smaller bar spacing. That one we used as a travel cage, I think the bars were just over an inch and it worked fine.

Chins can easily get out of those cages. I had one and watched 2 chins get out within 30 seconds of putting them in it.

I would think with the larger ones, that chins can squeeze through the bars.

The one I had was for a small dog. The chins were getting out through the bottom which has much larger wire spacing than the sides. The plastic tray covers it but that does not stop chinchillas at all.

Back