Does this genetically make sense?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahlulahBelle

Constant Poop Vacuumer
I was messaging the girl who bred my baby standard chinchilla and tell me if this makes sense at all.

-Her mom was a violet, dad was a white, with that combo, the only babies they can produce are white/violet carriers, and standard/violet carriers. She was born with the fur of a standard, with a TINY bit of white on her tail, which technically makes her (genetically, anyway) a white mosaic chinchilla.

I thought white mosaics actually look white. I am a little fuzzy on chinchilla genetics. I attached pictures of my chinchilla in question below.
Thanks! ;)

Attachments

• chin1.jpg
    chin1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 63
  • chin3.jpg
    chin3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 67
  • chin4.jpg
    chin4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 61
  • chin2.jpg
    chin2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 61
but she will probably resemble most standard chinchillas, and her grandfather (a standard/violet carrier) has very distinct markings (very dark on the legs/back band; very crisp, white belly) Lu probably inherited some of this, and will have a nice coloring when she's fully mature, especially since her mom and grandmother were both violets, so she probably got most of her coloring from grandpa.

Sorry forgot to add in this part as well.

They don't have to be white, but yours appears to have a regular tail. Do you have any pictures of the tail? As a baby there should have been a white tip with bright pink skin, and the chin should still have that.

I've attached a photo of a baby with a white tail tip so you can see.

Honestly, it looks like a regular standard to me. It is very unusual to have a mosaic v/c stay a crisp dark standard over it's entire body. Violet does weird things to the standard, it tends to wash it out.

Second picture is a mosaic v/c that was born standard with a white tail tip. Can you see how the v/c has washed out his sides and allowed more white to show through? He was dark enough in person that they made me show him as a standard. He didn't do so well. :))

Attachments

• WhiteTailTip.jpg
    WhiteTailTip.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Mosaicvc1.jpg
    Mosaicvc1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 30
  • Mosaicvc2.jpg
    Mosaicvc2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yeah her tail looks pretty standard to me. The tips of the fur strands might be a little white but not so much. But what should I call her color? Standard right? I just don't get how she can be white mosaic. haha. I also don't know had another question. When you do chinchilla shows do you need a pedigree like in rabbit shows? If I entered her into a show would I call her a standard?

Its possible to have a mosaic with just a white tail tip. Its hard to tell from your pictures but she may be a standard. Some light standards have very light hair on their tail tips.

All standards have a little bit of white tipping on their tail fur but if it was a white it would look like spoof's photo.

Also, for safety concerns your chin appears to be chewing on its plastic shelves - wood would be a better choice to prevent a possible impaction. Also you might want to give your baby an extra dust bath ;) Are you using blue cloud or blue sparkle dust?

I've never seen a standard with a white tipped tail as an adult or even weaned animal. I've had them born dark standard with the tiniest tipped tail and they will be silvered out before weaning time.

I agree with Spoof that is a standard violet carrier. Many kits do have bright white tips on the hairs of their tail, but unless it is tipped like the picture Spoof added then it's not a "white tipped tail", they're white tipped hairs, which is the normal for kits.

I personally would give that baby some more dusting as well.

I agree with Spoof that is a standard violet carrier. Many kits do have bright white tips on the hairs of their tail, but unless it is tipped like the picture Spoof added then it's not a "white tipped tail", they're white tipped hairs, which is the normal for kits.

This is what I am saying also or at least trying to say ;). I have a couple of std babies I should take a pic. Lay person not used to seeing white and standard kits born might think this white tipping to hairs on standards was a white.

Here's a little standard baby and one a few weeks old to show what we're trying to describe :) You can see the difference between spoof's photo.

Attachments

• std baby.jpg
    std baby.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN3067.jpg
    DSCN3067.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN3066.jpg
    DSCN3066.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 17
When you do chinchilla shows do you need a pedigree like in rabbit shows? If I entered her into a show would I call her a standard?
You don't need a pedigree to show, though you would usually put down the rancher's brand if they had one under the ID.

If you entered her in a show she would show as a standard. :)) You'll want to dust her quite a bit more for that, the fur shouldn't have cracks in it when you show.

Definitely get her some wood stuff so she quits eating the plastic.

The pictures I posted were from April. She doesn't have those shelves she came with anymore they were chewed like that when they were given to me and she has definitely dusted since than. Those were from the first day she came home ahha. They were the only ones I had of her. I noticed she looked greasy in them after I posted the pictures. I guess she looks like a standard totally. But my breeder said she is genetically a white mosiac. Does this make sense?

Also thank you for all the information. :) I am glad that I can show her. and I will call her a standard. Glad to have everything figured out.

Your breeder would be incorrect. She cannot be one color and another color "genetically." She's a standard possible violet carrier but that wouldn't make her look anything other than a standard outwardly. Good to hear on the shelves and dust :)

Yeah I learned so much about chinchillas from here. I was so uninformed when I got her. I have changed her cage completely since I have joined. I didn't realize that raisins were unhealthy and that plastic shelves were hazardous. I also learned the food I was feeding her wasn't the best. She is becoming the healthiest chin possible :D I love learning as much as I can about her. I also work at a pet store and I have been using the information I've gathered to better inform the customers. Thank goodness for chins and hedgies!!:hug2:

Below is a shot of my lulu as of yesterday! She is looking much healthier than the first day I brought her home! ;)

Attachments

• 2012-08-26_11-35-49_476.jpg
    2012-08-26_11-35-49_476.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 35
Sorry to be a sore sport here but what she's eating now ( the new shelves) are even worse, it's basically sawdust and glue. She is also fur chewing on her hip, that will disqualify her at a show and often a sign of discontent.

I see hay in the cage, what else does she have for her chewing pleasure? Are there other things around that would stress her out, a big dog always nosing around her cage, small kids? What kind of feed are you feeding?

Those aren't new shelves its one of those couches they sell for chewing at the pet store. I thought that was just a little fur slip from getting freaked out as it recently showed up as of last week. But now that I think of it, it looks like fur chew. I think shes really mad that I moved her cage around. This hip spot never showed up until then. She has this little tent she sleeps in and I moved it and she wont sleep in it anymore and she lays on her floor and sleeps. I have tons of things for her to chew on. Apple orchard sticks, a pumice stone, a block thingy, a hanging chew toy, and a log thing and a couch thing. So i don't think that's an issue. I don't have a dog or kids. Just me in my one bedroom apartment. I am feeding her zupreem timothy pellets as of right now but I'm switching to oxbow as soon as my pet store special orders it in. I have been slowly transitioning her into a healthier cage since I joined this forum two weeks ago and I think I've been freaking her out with all the extra attention and moving everything around to make it more acceptable for her. I don't think the fur chew thing will continue since its a tiny spot and I think its due to a little bit more stress these past few weeks.

It doesn't matter why she is fur chewing, just that she has. Any chin who fur chews reguardless of the reason is not showable and shouldn't be bred. The breeder should bbe told so they can adjust their herd due to the chewing. The couches they sell for chewing is pure sugar and is bad for chins. I personally buy nothing at pet stores. Take a good look around the supply section here. If we don't sell it here it probably shouldn't be given to your chinchilla.

A tiny spot would be the size of a pencil eraser... that's a whole hip. :(

If she seems stressed easily I wouldn't show her at all, the show itself will stress her out. As for "slowly moving".. I hate to say this because I know people will disagree, but to a point ( note what was just said... to a point ) chins are only as sensitive as you make them. If you treat them with kid gloves they will be stressed and fragile. I've seen chins recover from things no animal should, beatings from mates that should've killed them, and such with no problems. I would remove the sugar block, and mover her to where you want her to be. When you stress about stressing her out... it's just going to stress her out more. Lots of chews, lots of hay, and all pine shelves!

Back