Does brand effect nutrition, what brand is best?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

I am currently feeding my chins nutriphase food and timothy hay. The b reeder I got them from fed bulk rabbit food, saying that its the same ingredients (but I don't trust that they have different nutrition info I so switched to chinchilla food). Is this okay? My problem is chinchilla food is so expensive its like 6$ for 2 pounds while guinea and rabbit food is 1$ a pound or less. Is there a good spot online? Also what are some good other things to give them such as supplements (they have plenty of chew toys, and blocks I mean nutrition things).

As long as you are feeding a good pellet and timothy hay, chins don't need a supplement. Some rabbit feeds are perfectly fine and good to feed chinchillas. Do you know what kind of food she was using?

Nutriphase is a bad brand, so yes, brand does effect nutrition. Good brands for chinchilla-specific feed are Mazuri, Oxbow, and Tradition. Good rabbit feeds I can't remember off the top of my head except for Purina Rabbit Chow Show (the blue bag).

Tradition and Mazuri seem to be most people's top choice in food. You can buy Mazuri at Petsmart, but it's like $8.99 for 2.5 pounds. I buy Tradition from the Ryerson's. A 25 pound bag is $8.50, but you have to add shipping. Not sure how much that is because I drive out to get mine. But I'm sure it averages out to less than 4 bcks a pound like Mazuri! And it lasts a while! I also buy supplemet from them. Many people don't use supplement, though. It's not necessary. It's choice. I've bought 2 chins from the Ryerson's and they were always fed supplement. So, I just kept giving it to them, and give it to my other chins also. They really like it and every morning when I get up, they're all sitting there waiting for it! They know whwne it's supplement time!
So, check out the Ryerson's web site. They also sell dust.

We've been using the reformulated PANR with amazing results.
Prior to that we used Dr Koch but the differenece in weight gain with PANR has caused us to reconsider.
We also use suppliment just because we like to give the chinnies foraging options with their hay. I realize there's "no need" for this extra bit of nutrition, but we like to pamper them. ;)

Tradition and Mazuri seem to be most people's top choice in food. You can buy Mazuri at Petsmart, but it's like $8.99 for 2.5 pounds.

I would pick Oxbow over Mazuri and I know quite a few others would as well. Mazuri has been known to cause soft poops in chins. As soon as they were put on a different feed, the soft poops stopped. For some people it works fine, but many other people have experienced these problems with Mazuri. IMO Mazuri would be a last resort for me...scraping poop off of ledges in 3 cages for a week was not fun. If I had the choice between Oxbow and Mazuri, I'd go Oxbow all the way.

Takura, in answer to your question, yes bad feed can affect the nutrition of chins. I have seen chins on Kaytee, Nutriphase, Charlie Chin, etc. with horrible fur and just a lack of energy and zest. Once they were switched to a good feed, their fur started to look better and they were just all around more bouncy. If you contact Sandi on here, she can get you a good deal on Oxbow.

Okay thanks I think I'll switch then. I'll try the Ryersons website. I also found one that sells Mazuri for 1$ a pound. Thanks! Also what do you supplement, I mean what do you give them?

Back