Do they realize you are there?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica

The reason I ask this is because it seems they will hop anywhere on you when they are out including your face or head if you allow it as if you are just part of the landscape or something. I don't let Marble near my face but he's climbed on my head before. I was wondering if he was aware of me being there because if he was he probably wouldn't do that.

I would say yes he knows. Chins are very aware of there surroundings. As an example, when they are awake in their cage they always know when the cats come too close to them. I also notice that when I glance at them they are looking straight at me already.

I would say that he knows too. My chin will sit there and stare at my husband and I from the cage until we come over and pet him or let him out. Then if I am not in the bathroom during his playtime, my husband tells me that he will stare at the door as if he is waiting on me to come play.

Ya know sometimes I wonder. I think for the most part is a game and they like climbing all over you. Polo and Coda however have taken to jumping into my face. They will both litterally get on something so they are more level with me and then lunge at my face. That makes me think that they know its me but don't know exactly how my anatomy is related.

I think they realize it, and they don't care. When ZZ is out playing, he is in his own little world and would wall surf off of anything. He also knows that if we sit in certain places during playtime, he can reach things he can't normally reach on his own.

He totally takes advantage of his cuteness during playtime.

I have to agree with everyone. I think that they're definately aware if you're there. They even know when a stranger walks into the room. My chins always act way more reserved when someone they don't know comes into the chin room. But, when my husband, children or I walk in they go right to the bars eagerly expecting either a treat or to come out.

Oh he knows. My gizmo sits and stares and stares and stares at me until I look at him. Once I do , he'll popcorn and go crazy bitting the cage bars. He is such an attention hog lol. But I love that he loves his mommy! :)

Oh yeah they know! Anytime my boyfriend or I walk by the chin cage, they come right to the doors to be greeted! My chinnies watch us when we are sitting on the couch and they do the craziest things! Ashe now sits on the shelf and spins the chin spin with her paws instead of running in it. I think she likes when we laugh at her antics!
They know my daily schedule too. I swear they hear my alarm and wait til I come down the stairs! I love waking up to lil fuzzy faces waiting to greet me! :)

Yeah I guess you guys are right because Marble does watch me from his cage and react to the things going on around him. I still don't get why he doesn't realize that it's my face he's about to jump on but then again larger pets like cats (especially them) have been known to sit on the heads of their owners when they are sleeping.

I know Sesame knows the difference between us and strangers, as she does get more reserved and hides a bit... but, I have to agree that she doesn't really care in regards where she is clambering about on her human jungle gyms (she has "wall surfed" off my ankle before!).

I do question how aware she really is of her surroundings though. There have been a few times where she has crashed into me, head first, while zooming around during playtime. It's makes me quite worried, because sometimes she hits me with a lot of force. She's knows that I was there a few seconds before when she was climbing on top of me, then a few minutes later after popcorning like crazy and zooming, she'll run full speed into me. I just don't get it...

Ok, does anyone else watch "The Office"? My husband and I do. Last week's episode, Michael, Dwight, and Andy were doing parkour... where people try to take the most creative way between two points. Like jumping against walls or doing rolls... Well, the other day we were in the bathroom playing with our chin and he ran at the wall and jumped off of it. My husband says, parkour! So, we call it chin parkour! It's hilarious.

That's usually called wall surfing around here. It's tons of fun to watch. As far as chns pooping on their people goes, they have no control over that. It just falls out of their little bottoms.

I would have to say that they are aware. I know what you mean about hoping on your face and stuff. If I lay down my chin does the same, I think they are curious and just like to explore.

I think it is just your chin's way of playing with you. My chin is very aware when I am close by and will sit and stare at me until I come over to her. She is really good at making me feel guilty if I don't give her attention. And she will use me as a launch pad when I am in her pen with her, but that is just her way of interacting with me.

Back