Do most of you adopt?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine were adopted from a breeder who also does rescues, it was actually more of a rehoming than an adoption since they are both pedigreed and only needed to go due to their previous owner´s allergies. It´s been great, the lady I got them from has been fantastic answering my questions and in order to get them I had to sign a contract stating that I would never sell them but if for some reason I am no longer allowed to provide care they go straight back to her.

Before getting my boys I was completley sold on the idea of getting a cute itty bitty baby chin and I´m so glad I didnt! Dragon is 6 months old and he is a handful whereas Silver is the calmest boy ever, I am so glad I didn´t let his age get in the way of my choice.

As soon as I have the space I will definantly be looking into adopting another mature age chin who is looking for a home because it is just so rewarding to get to know an animal with his own set personality and know that you are doing something special for an animal.

i bought both of mine from the same pet shop

i guess the first was out whim (but i did want a chin since my last died 10 yrs ago and wasn't ready till i met this one =D)

the secound one i consider as a rescue

with the pet shop i went to you can "kind of" bargain

I bought Tilly and Gizmo from pet shops and adopted the rest. I forgot to add :p

Even though we operate a chinchilla rescue, I understand the impulse of wanting to buy "that one in the pet store that just stole my heart".

Each chin has a different personality and many times pet store and breeder raised chins can just reach out, grab your emotions and not let go!

Fortunately, many people choose to adopt first. With an average of 20 available chins at any given time, rescues such as ours often have lots to choose from.

We decided back in early September to adopt a couple. We watched the Oregon Humane Society website and Craigslist. We had a couple false starts, one breeder was really flaky and I didn't really want to go there. One was offering them for quite a lot and we were considering it until we saw these little guys on Craigslist.

We found out the woman we adopted them from had just moved on to a farm and had too many animals. I'm glad we got these two. We've managed to give them better food and a better cage. And dote on them since we don't have any other pets. <3 And Vincent, the baby, is pretty awesome. Christopher is a little more reserved but he'll come around :).

Back