Do chins need light?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

*I don't know another way to word this topic, but I don't want to make it sound like I want to lock my chinchillas in a closet*
I just moved to NY and my chinchillas have been placed in the basement. I'm really excited about this, because in SC the temperatures were getting very high! However, there is only one measly window, so the room is very dark. I have been keeping the light on during the day, but I've gotten to thinking--do chinchillas need light, to keep their circadian rhythm in check, like others animals do? I think I've read before that they can see fine in the dark, and they're more active at night anyway. If they don't need full brightness for 12 hours a day (like reptiles!), I'd like to downgrade to a lamp (or maybe some groovy lava lamps, that might be fun). I just don't want to do that if the low light would not be enough for them, so I'd like to get some insight first. Thanks!

I know some breeders keep their chins in their basements. Most have lights set on a timer system, although the duration and specifics I'm not certain about and are likely intended to increase production.

Chinchillas are nocturnal, and probably sleep in dark caves during the day in their natural habitat; so I would assume they manage just fine without light.

Chinchillas aren't actually nocturnal, they are crepuscular. This means that they are most active at dusk and dawn, so they do need light. A lamp on a timer would probably be your best bet.

Thank you, I was hoping for a knowledgeable response sooner or later! They are more active during the day from living in my bedroom originally, so I'll continue to keep the light on during the day and look into full spectrum lighting!

I used to have my chins in a room that had no windows so I kept a night light on for them at night and the room light on during the day. You said there was a window, if that window lets the room be light enough during the day that you feel comfortable without a lamp, the chinchillas should be fine, otherwise you might consider a lamp.

I would also do a low key night light, in nature they would have the moon and stars to play by during the dark.

Back