DO chins need a certain amount of sunlight?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's more important to have the sleep/wake cycle than it is any particular kind of light. I do think though that it's important for most living things to have natural sunlight. Just like with humans, I think a body just feels better for having the light around you.

Our chins are in a upstairs room with two windows in it, I just feel better knowing that they get to see a bit of sunlight during the day.

They should not be IN direct sunlight, because it could cause them to overheat. But the sun in the room, while maintaining a safe temperature, is okay.

Unfortunately, the only room I had available is one with no windows. I have several lamps on a timer, with bulbs that simulate sunlight. I set the timer to give about the same amount of light per day as we have outside, so they can still have the sense of seasonal changes, as well as day and night. But I still feel like natural sulight would be best. I read a study somewhere about the effects of different lighting on chinchilla health and reproduction. I will try to find it and post the link here.

Unfortunately, the only room I had available is one with no windows. I have several lamps on a timer, with bulbs that simulate sunlight. I set the timer to give about the same amount of light per day as we have outside, so they can still have the sense of seasonal changes, as well as day and night. But I still feel like natural sulight would be best. I read a study somewhere about the effects of different lighting on chinchilla health and reproduction. I will try to find it and post the link here.

I'd be interested to see that paper...I have the windows open in my rooms when I'm home and we get some sunlight at different times of the day and the chins seems happy enough. One time when we had a lot of sun, I let the chins out to see how/if they'd react to it and Stolie went and sun bathed for a bit...so I'm guessing they do like it:thumbsup:

The funny thing is that all of the cages I've had in the past with sun access (will get a beam here or there in the morning) will always have a chinpile bathing in that beam. They absolutely love to lay in the sun.

I can't keep them in a windowed room in this climate, so they are on timers with daylight bulbs.

One of the papers discusses studies on different types of fluorescent bulbs and what has been used in the industry. I know they don't need sunlight to survive like humans do, but I don't think anyone has ever done a study on how they are affected by it.

I think the article was in a MCBA mag. I remember reading it as well. It basically said that if you have a certain amount of light per day, you can up reproduction by quite a bit, since the chins never stop breeding due to the winter seasonal changes, or something along those lines. I will look for it as well, I believe it was December's issue.

I think you would have to be careful about choosing the right kind of light if your Chins get no natural sunlight.

Natural light provides Vitamin D which is needed for the body to use Calcuim - but I believe some kinds of light bulb can provide the same kind of light,

Back