DIY Fleece Liners?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! it's been forever since I've been on here.

I want to start making my own fleece liners for my babies cage. they have a two story fn with the bass metal pans in them. the top level has the cut out and the bottom level is the full size.

does anyone know how to make these? I have blizzard/anti pill fleece but is there anything else I need to make it? what sizes did you guys use for the fabric since it will obviously be smaller once I flip it inside out?

How many layers of fleece do I use? Should I put something inside that's more absorbent?

Please let me know if you have any tutorials/instructions on these!

Thank you so much in advance!!!! :grouphug:

There are instructions on the DIY link on this section http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15265

Instead of quilting material some people use towels or extra layers of fleece. I personally prefer using a couple extra layers of fleece to avoid any possibility of getting to inappropriate material. I don't have metal pans I use use the plastic pans, I made the shelf pan pillowcase style with a fleece pee pad inside (double layer of fleece making it 3 layers thick where they sit), and pillow case style for the bottom pan, but with a liner on top (so once again 3 layers thick on top of the pan). It depends on if your chins are litter trained or not as well, litter trained you might be fine with just the double layer, but if they aren't you are going to want something in between to help with absorbancy. Keep in mind though if using a towel that towels shrink more then fleece.

one of my chins is litter trained and one isn't. the one I got when she was young learned very quickly, but the one that i adopted was already 2 and had never picked up on the litter training thing. it's very unfortunate. my first chin does tend to chew through everything so I'd want all the layers to be chin appropriate.

I am concerned about the fleece staying down. I know a lot of people have the bass pans and just use the blanket style liners but I'm wondering if theres a way to secure it so the chins don't rip it up and rearrange it like they do everything else -_-

Just so you know fleece is only safe so long as the chin doesn't eat it. Fleece doesn't shred like other fabric, but if enough is eaten it can still cause a problem. If you just mean the chin doesn't chew the fleece yet but you want to be extra safe in case one night they decide chewing up fleece is fun, I understand I feel the same way.

To keep the liner down some people use heavy objects, like tiles, clay pots or even rocks in each corner. Some people also use binder clips, so you would need to make the liners extra big so you have some coming up the sides to clip on to. I'm not sure how well it works with the bass pans, but pillow case style liners would prevent pulling the liners up too. You could make blanket style liners for the bottom as a pee pad then measure the pan and the pan sides (so it's loose and droops inside the pan not taut) and make a pillow case type cover to slide the whole pan inside of, also make it extra long so you can tuck the end under the pan. Hopefully I've made sense.

I think I'll try with binder clips. I have one of the metal litter pans (I forget where it's from, it's the one that a lot of people on here have) and I use binder clips to lock that onto the cage and it works excellently.

I think if I put heavy objects they'll just move them. those little hands of theirs are surprisingly strong! they even somehow move the granite chilling slabs!

I was considering sewing metal loops onto the bottom of the liners and maybe putting suction cups with hooks on them on the pan? not sure if the suctions would...suction...but that way I could make them the exact same size as the pans...

Back