Different types of ebony

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leowjp

I just got an ebony chin. But I do not know which category it falls into. The chin look very black on the whole. However, when inspecting the fur, I can see That the inner part is greyish then to black.

Just trying to clarify-you are saying that the veil is black, but beneath is grey, yes? So close to the body is grey, the tips are black? Just confused a little by your wording :) Might just be me being tired lol

My Edgar is a dark ebony and is very close to a extra dark ebony (sometimes referred to as a homo ebony) but he his sides are a little gray. Some ebonies can be as a light as standard and the only difference is that an ebony has a gray belly instead of white. The more ebony genes a chin has the darker it is rather than it being one gene from each parent that creates a homo colored animal like a homo beige. Because of this you don't have to worry about breeding two ebony parents like you would blacks or whites that have a lethal gene when bred together. However breeding back to quality standards is very healthy for the long term of any herd.

That is all I know about ebonies but am just a pet owner so please forgive me if I've gotten anything wrong.

Here's a pictures of Edgar if you'd like to compare it to your baby.

Attachments

• Edgar 2.jpg
    Edgar 2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 21
Back