Diesel's Bumblefoot Update

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like Diesel is making a good recovery, Stacie! You should be able to breath and relax a bit now :) Good job taking care of your baby!

Just thought I would give everyone an update...

Diesel's right leg appears to be doing better- it was the one that was most infected. It is still "crusty" for lack of a better word, but some of the fur is beginning to grow back and the skin is healing in some places. The other foot still has the abscess, so that is going to be drained tomorrow.

I will let everyone know what else the vet has to say.

Diesel did very well at the vet today...the abscess has been drained. He is now on Metacam, and I am continuing with the wash/blu-kote/bag balm/antibiotic.

Glad everything is looking better and you got the abcess drained. I'm sure that it will start looking and feeling better soon! Good job mom!

stace, im so glad to read all of this.

i think last week i had fb'd you and havent had a chance to reply to your comment but ive definitely been thinking of him. youre such a great mom and i hope that you dont forget that. i know that worry often consumes us, but please never blame yourself or be hard on yourself. you're a great example of a responsible pet owner. and lookie here, he's recovering!

relax a bit, and have a margarita!

Stack good news about Diesel! I'll have to call him Vin from now on as he seems to be tough like Vin Diesel!

Another update, his legs are still healing and he is no longer limping or wobbling what-so-ever. He is eating on his own and is acting his normal self again. His legs are still scabbed and dry, so I am applying bag balm and continuing the antibiotic/blu-kote & chlorhexidine treatments.

The vet said that his bumblefoot will most likely be chronic :( so he will have to be kept on fleece the rest of his life- this includes fleece covered shelves and ledges. Alli is already in the works of getting him some fleece covers made for all his cage accessories. :))

Yay for Diesel feeling better :D! Boo for it being chronic. :( Glad you have it under control Stacie!

The vet said that his bumblefoot will most likely be chronic :( so he will have to be kept on fleece the rest of his life- this includes fleece covered shelves and ledges. Alli is already in the works of getting him some fleece covers made for all his cage accessories. :))
I know it sucks but I have successfully managed a couple of chins with chronic non-healing bumblefoot now. Hang in there. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread but its on the same topic. How bad is chronic? Polo had bumble foot diagnosed once and it went away but his feet still bleed everyone in a while. They don't get swollen and red anymore. I always figured they cracked and bled from being too dry. Could this be chronic bumblefoot or does it always get swollen and inflamed?

That is encouraging to hear, Claire. :)) Do you have any other advice for keeping him comfortable & helping prevent flare ups other than having all fleece covered surfaces and keeping his cage very clean?

Last edited:
That is encouraging to hear, Claire. :)) Do you have any other advice for keeping him comfortable & helping prevent flare ups other than having all fleece covered surfaces and keeping his cage very clean?

That's about it TBH. I used to religiously check the chins' feet daily & act on any warmth, redness, pus, infection, bleeds etc ASAP rather than leaving them. For one chin, Bummble, (she had terrible bumblefoot to begin with) I dressed her feet every other day (& then longer between dressings) & she kept her bandages on perfectly - in fact, she got so used to it that she'd hold each foot out for me to dress. :heart:
I used to debride her feet if necessary (but your vet would have to do that) & then dress her feet accordingly. After months she could be left without dressings & bandages with daily checks.
Another chin needed very little really - monitoring & occasional treatment.

It's more of a case of keeping the feet clean & relieving the pressure & then acting on anything quickly. An occasional bit of Bag Balm (I use Green Cream) to keep the skin supple but not moist.

Last edited:
Thank you Claire

Here are some updated photos of Diesel's legs. I'll post some before and afters so you can get an idea of how far we've come. He's no longer limping or wobbling and doesn't act like he is in pain at all. I'm so happy!

Before:
(Notice all the raw skin from skin just peeling off the wounds)
IMG_4536.jpg

(Swollen foot and crust on sides of legs)
IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

Now:
IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

Latest posts

Back