deutsch violets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightstarchins

This is all just in the beginning stages, but I am in contact with a deutsch-violet breeder and show judge in Germany. I know him personally and have been to his ranch several times, I am pretty sure he can be trusted. He might be willing to ship some good quality deutsch violets to the US and I am trying to find out if anyone else might be interested. Serious inquiries only please.

Claudia

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what's the difference between a german/deutch violet, and Sullivan/afro-violet? Is it another seperate mutation, like the Wellman beige vs Tower Beige?
Thanks,
~Barb~

I have seen these in picture before on the sites of a couple overseas breeders. The Deutsch violets are a recessive mutation but not the same mutation as the Sullivan/afro-violet. They're darker in color than the violets we are used to seeing on the show table here in the US.

They have an interesting look to them. If you look at a shaft of their fur, I wonder what it looks like ... I am curious as to how the Deutsch violets have been doing on the show tables overseas also. What are their main faults that are trying to be improved upon?

I'd be interested - depending on price, quality, size and shipping charges!

Thanks Sumiko for the explaination. I dont feel I'm experienced enough to be breeding violets of any type, but I love to learn more about them. The deutch ones sound beautiful.
~Barb~

http://www.edchinchillas.co.uk/ Under Mutation Colours > Recessive Mutations
There are some photos there but apparently they do not do the mutation justice. I have not seen them "in the fur" (so-to-speak) yet but Richard & Eddie Crutchely have shown some this season.

Yes, I saw these last night whrn I googled it - black and white pics are hard to compare!
And the "ultra violet" - with a black velvet is also interesting, but again, poor pics!
Their Royal Blues are interesting, too!

Last edited:
black and white pics are hard to compare!
On my PC the Deutsch pics are not black and white :hmm:

I have not found any better photos yet - but maybe we will get some good photos under show lights if they show some more this season.

Last edited:
Rick we have Ultra violets and Royalle blues here in the US it is the TOV violet and TOV sapphire. I hope people realize that in importing thse violets if they are different recessive violet genes then the violets here you will not be able to get violets out of pairings with US violets....

I think before anyone goes very far they should check on whats needed to import them right now. I know just bringing chins in from Canada has new rules of late and there is dollars involved.

Last edited:
I think before anyone goes very far they should check on whats needed to import them right now. I know just bringing chins in from Canada has new rules of late and there is dollars involved.

You are right, I imported mine about four years ago, it was not difficult then, but things might have changed. I will look into that and ask my contact in Germany also to find out if there were any changes.

Claudia

I just called Lufthansa (german Airlines) and was given two different numbers of companies that specialize in shipping animals overseas. Unfortunately there is a seven hour time difference between here and Germany and they will be closed until Monday. I will call then and find out about shipping regulations and the cost of shipping.

I don`t want to upset anyone, but I also wanted to mention that it will take experienced breeders to work with the deutsch violets. They are a recessive color and just like the sapphire and violet mutations will need a lot of work. I will not be able to import an unlimited number of animals and the few that we will get should only go to very experienced breeders.

Claudia

Yep, I'm looking into bringing in some new chins from Canada and it has been a massive headache so far! But will be worth it in the end...

Since I'm 6th generation German, the language was never even spoken in my family. Now I wish I could at least read it!
Kristy - I understood that part - these are different! Google had the interpretation from German.
Current circumstances, [although looking much better] will play a big part in a decision!

Back