Depressed mom after taking baby away?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsey13

My female seems pretty depressed after taking her 10 week old baby male away. I separated them a few days ago and she has been sitting in the same spot every time I check on her and she hasn't been eating well. I also have another female and was wondering if it might do them both some good to try to introduce them together. I am keeping her baby and he is in the cage right beside of her so she can see him as I thought this would help but not so sure about that? What should I do?

I doubt she is depressed but I would check her for other possible issues if she is not eating well.

She was eating fine when she was in with him because I seen her eating so I really don't think anything is wrong with her health wise. They were always right next to each other cuddled up so that why I was thinking she is kinda depressed.

I'm sure getting her a new cagemate will make her happy again c: Give it a try with that other female of yours.

There is no guaranteeing that she will get along with or be happy with a new cage mate. Just give her some time. If she is eating/drinking/pooping normally then she eventually she will adjust to the change. If she's not eating/drinking/pooping normally then something else could be amiss.

It's also possible that she is eating when you aren't present, and that less food is being consumed because kit is gone. Kits eat a lot - they're growing! - and moms eat more when they have kits in with them because they're nursing and it takes a lot of nutrients to make breastmilk. Try giving more hay to see if that stimulates her.

If you think something is "off" a trip to the vet might be in order - I've never had a mom really act depressed when they were separated from their kits.

This happened to one of my females after taking her boy away. She became lethargic, eating slowed and just seemed super sad.

I tried force feeding her, took her to vet for fluids and antibiotics in case it was something else going on. Nothing helped and we eventually had to put her down. It was the most awful thing ever.

I would definitely get her to a vet to be sure there isn't anything medically wrong and see if putting a small stuffed animal in there helps her feel better.
Sometimes if I have a depressed female, Ill let her mate in with her earlier than normal just so she has someone.

Make sure if you do put a stuffed animal in there that it has no plastic things they can chew and ingest....

Keep on mind that she may be more aggressive than normal because she is still adjusting to her kit not being with her. She may actually attack any cage mate you put in with her.

Also, you would need to quarantine the new one for 30 days so she will be well past the company helping her by then.

Back