Depressed Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

After having my Male Chinchilla castrated, he is able to move in with my Female as the healing time is over. I did the usual in order for them to meet each other gradually (They are mother and son) I kept their cages close together so they could smell and see each other, I even heard them talking (I think). I've let them have play time together while I watch them, neither of them have shown aggression towards the other, which is good :). The male does try and mount the female, but thats bound to happen, she won't get pregnant though thats the main thing. Anyway, I finally moved them into a cage together. The Male is as happy as can be, hes certainly more energetic around his new cage, his eating habits haven't changed and he seems really happy. The female however doesn't seem happy. I don't understand, she loved having him out of the cage with her, they would run around together and groom each other and they seemed really cheery. When they go back in the cage, she sits in the corner most of the time. I don't want my chins to be alone, but then again I don't want my female to feel depressed. Its day 3 since they moved in together, I'm hoping this is just a phase. If she hated him she would have attacked him by now right? I mean... There isn't any fur around the cage, I've checked the limbs and conditions of both chins and everything seems neutral.

Back