Degus?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragsil

I've been doing a bit of research looking for care information for degus and there is not a whole lot out there.....I was wondering if any members had experience with them?

There is a pair of one year old boys up for adoption a few hours away from me that I was looking into, but wanted to get more facts before I considered anything.

How similar are they to chins? I've read that they are more active during the day and can have a more varied diet and from what I've seen their mannerisms are similar. How do they compare in the peeing/pooping/mess department? I have six hamsters that keep me busy with plenty of pee, poop and mess but I'm kinda hoping degus are more like chins with pellet poop and non smelling pee....

Also, what kind of cage requirements do they have? These two boys come complete with cage, I've sent off an email asking for pics to see if it is a suitable size/layout.

Just interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad to give me a bit of a heads up for what to expect if I can go through with the adoption :)

Poop and pee is like a chin. Pelleted poop and no smell pee (if cleaned weekly).

I keep my degus in homemade cage with hardware cloth on it because I think they'll get out of a cage with 1" bar spacings.

Food is high quality chin pellets mixed with a high quality guinea pig pellet.

I think they are very similar to chins. Mine don't really have a time they are up the most. They nap off and on through the day and night; but mine are in the same room as my chins.

They also, get a dust bath less often than the chins.

They can also be more vocal than a chin.

Have to have a wheel. A chin can survive without a wheel, I think a degu would lose its mind.

No varied diet. The mix as mentioned above, hay cubes, loose hay, sticks. They are very prone to diabetes, so treats are an absolute no no.

Thanks a heap! I really like that degutopia website, i'll be sure to read up a fair bit on that. I read that they can have small treats such a vegetables as these are lower in sugar, would this be ok or would it not be good, diabetes considered?

I think the two little boys close to me might have been adopted already which is a shame since they came with a whole setup, but at least I don't need to rush to get things done. It could be a while before another pair is avaliable near me though, they are not too common here.

The pair my roommate had were very loud....every morning between 4am-10am they would chirp loudly, and I mean LOUDLY, waking up everyone in our apartment. I thought they were very cool creatures, but wouldn't want them because of the noise factor. Also they seem to never sleep! But they are extremely energetic and fun to interact with, and like any other rodent are great escape artists. They chewed through the original plastic cage she had them in after only a week, and then chewed through the homemade, wooden one she made them later. So I would recommend a metal cage, and it should be similar in dimensions to what you would house two chinchillas in. And I agree they need to have a wheel!

Agreed. Defiantly get them a wheel; will help relieve some of their energy.

Anyone know of a really good degu forum? I've not looked to hard for one, but my sister was on one where it was okay to house degu and chins together so I refuse to join that one.

I don't mind the noise, we have six hams, three chins and a very angry and loud bird at the moment so it shouldn't be an issue ;)

I am a bit sad, I called up the woman wanting to rehome tham today and she just left town, she game me a three hour window to pick them up but I don't have a car so now they are off on their way to Stockholm which is ages away from me. Fingers crossed they find a home and some new little guys pop up for sale sometime soon since I'ld love to get some

I got a degus. They lady I got him from said her was very nice and sweet. Didn't bite. I took him home and gave him space. Well he started biting me all the time. It got to the point I was scared to feed him. So I gave him to a friend and he never bit my friend once. Would sit with him and everything. The degus just hated me...lol I Was so jealous!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Back