Debating about getting another rabbit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mk94

So there is this cute little rabbit up for adoption and I just can't get him out of my head. He is sooooooo cute, but also a tiny fellow. He is smaller than the rabbit I currently have. Now obviously we wouldn't keep them in the same cage together... but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with two males playing together. The size difference is what scares me the most. My rabbit pretty laid back most of the time, but he does like the scent mark stuff when he's out playing. If they can't play together, would it be okay for them to at least play in the same area at different times?

You ask a ton of questions about the rabbit you already have. I think that maybe getting a second bunny isn't such a good idea yet. Have you thought about trying to find a good rabbit forum?

I asked questions when we first got him back in March. And then I think I noted something about him acting weird in June, but that was because we had to leave town for a few days and my parents were watching him. Things have been going pretty good with him. I thought there were people on here that owned rabbits, so I didn't think asking here was a big deal. Sorry.

I don't know much about rabbits, but in my experience it should be fine for them to play together. I will say however, that if you have any doubts then don't let them play together. Better safe than sorry.

At the shelter I volunteer at we have a smaller rabbit staying with us. The woman who runs the shelter recently moved from a house to a small apartment and kept her rabbit at the shelter next to the current rabbit while she moved. Her rabbit is a BIG rabbit. They're both males. They've been best buds since he moved in! They're absolutely adorable together and really like each other. She's bummed now tho, cause she feels they're so bonded that she has to adopt them out together! They're fun to watch play tho :)

Rabbits are kind of like chinchillas in that they may or may not get along if you let them have playtime together. Males especially will tend to want to fight, and even if you give them a lengthy introduction period, they may just decide that they plain old don't like each other. It doesn't take long for rabbits to do major damage to each other, either.

Some will get along with no trouble, but this isn't very common with males, especially if one or both are intact.

Some will get along with no trouble, but this isn't very common with males, especially if one or both are intact.

Good to know! Thanks for the info. The two at the shelter are both neutered, so that probably helped in their friendship :p

Back