Dancing & "Butt Scooting"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MyFuzzies

For the past two days or so Gideon has started this new "thing"...he kinda dances/shuffles for a few seconds, then scoots his butt on the floor :thinking: I have NO IDEA why he does this, but it's very funny. Maybe it's just one of those crazy things that "whites" do LOL

Any ideas??

I've seen videos of chins doing it. From what I understand it's because they like the smell of something. Does it look like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRZA-Q_8pU

It looks something like that, but then there's the butt scooting. You know, like after a dog goes poo they will sometimes scoot across the floor"? Well, it's exactly like that.

I don't know, Gideon does some strange things sometimes...my other chins even look at him like he's absolutely nuts LOL

One of my females does the butt scoot and the theory so far is that it is her way of marking things. Don't know if that is officially what it is, but she is very territorial, so perhaps?

Gella, considering that we're talking about Gideon, the "marking territory" thing could be very possible. He doesn't bother Cheeko about anything in the cage, but when I let them all out for playtime and the other boys go into his cage, he quickly tries to chase them off. He also snatches fur out of anyone's butt that crosses his path and sometimes will "hunt" for one that's not looking LOL. He's such a bully! Sometimes he gets so bad that I have to put him back in his cage...if I didn't we'd have alot of bald butts around here :rofl:

My girls do this at playtime - it is definitely marking, and they use itty bitty spurts of urine to mark.

My two do not get along, so the battle over who's room it is happens every night. I just laugh, because really, its MY ROOM. MINE! *scoot scoot scoot*

LoL @ scooting humans

I was also thinking tho, is there any chance he has a hair ring stuck & he's uncomfortable, or possibly has constipation issues? If neither of those sound reasonable for that chin, I'd go with the marking theory.
~Barb~

Baba does the scoot. Its soooo frickin hilarious! He also will do it if you put your hand in front of him. He'll back up, scoot forward and wrap his little paws around your fingers. Then he'll try to scoot closer and bump into your hand. He is a standard so no its not just a white thing. Hehehe.

My male Chincha will scoot against my sons' hands when they put them in the cage. He scoots forward and then backward then back again. He then will lay his head on their hand. I call it his little penguin dance because he looks like a penguin waddling.

Back