Daily Hair Rings on 8 yr old chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondkelt

Hi!

We've had our chin for going on 8 years now and have only had to help him remove 1 or 2 hair rings in the past that he could not fix himself. He's not used for breeding (as we bought/rescued him from a local pet store) and has had no major health issues until now...if you count hair rings as an issue.

I recently had a baby last August and we had to move him to another room where his access to his dust baths are very limited (mostly due to my dust allergy and my baby's). We were attempting to rehome him but have had no success and now with all this hair ring stuff I don't want to rehome him if the new owner can't help him.
I'm wondering if because his bathing is now so limited (like maybe once a month...i know that's bad :( I'm sorry but I'm being honest) that it's causing him to develop constant and daily hair rings.

The whole issue started about 2 weeks ago when I noticed he was pawing at his mouth and had a WHOLE bunch of hair stuck in his teeth. Upon further inspection we found a HUGE hair ring and had to carefully work at it for nearly 15 min. The poor guy was very swollen, so we lubed him up with some KY, vacuumed up all the lose hair in his cage and set him back to rest for the night. The next day he looked better, but I noticed there was more hair that was tucked into the sheath still. He had yet another hair ring.

Every day that we've checked him he's had a fairly big hair ring. He's getting used to the checks now, but I'm worried that the daily handling of his "chinnie parts" is going to irritate it even more because his penis retracts all but the last 1/4. I think because he's shedding so much that the hair is just getting stuck to it constantly causing the rings.

Also he's a heavy "self lover" and I think that may also be complicating issues.

So far we've removed about 6 individual rings in the last 10 days. Any suggestions on what we should do? We have a small fund set aside for chin emergencies but I have a feeling that this might cost more than what we've got in the stash :(

Have you had his teeth checked? when one of my males came down with malo, he was in alot of pain which caused his penis to stick out all the time. it was also to difficult for him to clean him self so I had to check him everyday for hair rings.

I second the opinion on having the teeth checked for malocclusion or other issue. Teeth need to be checked by x ray under gas by experienced exotics vet.

I would get him a stuffed animal to take out his daily aggressions, it seems like a petty solution but it might get him touching it less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I was afraid it might be his teeth. We took him in last year because he was getting a calcium deposit built up on his lower jaw line and I noticed one of his eyes getting a little crusty. Our vet is a good exotic doc and did the x-rays (not under gas though) and showed them to us and we could see no abnormal growth of his teeth, etc. And his eye cleared up a week later.

He hasn't been drooling or showing any other signs but I know they're good at masking it. I'll see if I can make an appt. to take him in. EMSChins do you know how much an exam like that may be?

EMSChins do you know how much an exam like that may be?

Honestly, it depends on the vet and area of the country you are in. Sorry to say. Dawn (Ticklechin, on here) has extensive experience with malo chins and I am hoping she will chime in here soon.

We were finally able to give Yoshi a dust bath (after cleaning off yet ANOTHER big ol' hair ring) and when I checked him this morning his little chinnie parts were no longer red and swollen and his penis has full retracted.
I'm still planning on having his teeth re-checked but for now the dust bath seems to have been the Golden Ticket.

But I'm super allergic to the Blue Cloud stuff, I've read on here that some people use cornstarch. Does that actually work? I'd love to be able to give him a bath at least once a week like I used to be able to.

Back