cutting nails

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chik_lets0715

My poor little girl, tonight was the first night she had her nails cut and it was my first time cutting an animals nails. She is not happy with me! I only got her back feet done becuase she still isn't 100% comfortable with me and she was so stressed out that I called it quits for the night.
Do you guys find that it gets better over time due to finding tricks or your little one gives in?

Often as they learn to trust you, it will get easier. One trick that I find particularly useful is to play with the hedgehog's feet daily. If you touch their feet and hold them still, even for a second it should help your little one to understand what you are trying to do.

You may also find that you have to change your technique. I have had a couple over the years that would not allow me to trim their nails with the "normal" technique I use. I had to get creative and figure out a new way. Nail trimming got easier once I found the method they wanted me to use.

Back