Curiosity: Why can't Chins have plastic wheels?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the same reason they can't have plastic cages, shelves, igloos, etc. They could chew it and ingesting the plastic is potentially fatal. It's not worth the risk.

All makes sense now.
Chins. Rodents. Rodents. Chewing. Plastic. Chewing. Bad.

Just ignore me... sinus infection haze over here.

and plastic wheels are not tough enough to withstand the abuse of a running chin, lol.
Heck, some of the metal wheels can't stand the abuse - I've had to replace bearings for chin spins before... plastic definititely can't withstand that type of abuse.

I bought one years ago for a temp cage, the chin broke the wheel off the axel and was trapped under it.

the dangers of chewing aside, When i first took my guy in, he came with a plastic wheel that he used. Aside form being a bit to small for their figure, in order for something to spin, it has to move! So you end up with plastic grinding against plastic. Which turned it into a fine plastic dust.
So I could spent 10-20 a month on a plastic one along with all the hazardous factors that came with it, or I could get a metal one, once and be set for life! I chose metal!

Back