Critter nation or Ferret nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macaroni and Chiz

Animal obsessed
So I have had to my two chins separated but in the same cage for months now. And I have finally raised enough to buy another cage. I found a cage that i liked for cheap but its been out of stock for a month, and I need the cage ASAP. I've decided to just go ahead and pay the extra money since I cant find anything else for cheap that works. But I plan to use paper bedding, and the bottom trays of both the FN and CN cages dont dip down at all to block stuff from constantly falling out of it every time the chin moves. So I would like to know what others did about this problem?? Or how much it costs to get a new safe bottom tray, and how I do that?? Also do you guys prefer one over the other or would they both work perfectly fine?? Thanks!! :)

I personally chose the CN since I knew my cat would be shoving his paws through the FN bars. Since he cannot do that, he leaves them alone.

I use fleece for my cages, but I know some people do buy Bass pans to replace the plastic ones. I believe those are about $20-30 per pan, I could be wrong. Since you're only using bedding, they will still be able to chew the pans so you either need to replace them or put fleece on them. To keep bedding from flying out, you can make guards around the pans(with fleece, wood, etc...).

I think I am gonna go with the CN cage since I can get it today and I would have top wait for the FN. We are going to go to home depot and get a new bass pan. I would like it to have the guards so they cant flick stuff out as easily. This cage will be for my 6month chin and she is VERY hyper XD

what are the pans made out of?? And what do I ask when I tell the worker??
sorry for all the questions I just wanna do this right the first time! Any extra advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the help!

According to what I've heard, I do not think that paper bedding is appropriate for chins. If they were to eat it, it could expand in their digestive systems and mess it all up. Hopefully someone with more information on the subject will advise you further. :)

^They're correct.
Paper bedding will expand when wet, which can cause a blockage. If using a paper based bedding, you must make sure that they're not eating it.

I got the CN!! It was the last one. I put it all together as soon as we got home. It was harder then I expected and I needed my dads muscle XD This thing is waaay bigger then I expected it to be, i love it!! My little chinny has already got it all figured out and is just all over the place. Because its this big though, I have to remodel my room tomorrow to be able to fit both the cages in here. I also am cleaning and redoing the other chins cage so she has her space back and will be taking out the separator. :) They both will be so much happier!

About the bedding. I didnt know that :/ I wasnt on here before I got my chins and the place where I read said it was okay. I will only be using bedding in the litter box. So what bedding do you recommend?? Thanks!

Back