Covering Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonia99

I will be getting 2 chinchillas in the next week or 2 so I had some questions.

I was going to get this fiesty ferret cage (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QFMYWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1412557860&sr=8-1) but I found out that the bar spacing is too wide (especially since the chinchillas will be 3-6 months old) so then I was going to get this critter nation cage (http://m.petco.com/product/116474/M...Double-Unit-with-Stand-Small-Animal-Cage.aspx) but I see that people still cover their cages with so what is the difference then besides the extra $100?

Do I have to cover both of them with fleece? Also I know people make it themselves but it seems difficult to get the fleece and make it. Also I know you can buy it online but they xosts $30 which seems like a lot. What do you recommend?

The biggest difference between the feisty ferret and the critter nation aside from bar spacing and orientation is the FF only has one door per level that opens, the CN has both doors that open which makes cleaning, decorating and rearranging the cage much easier. The FF is also more cheaply made and I've heard rusts most easily. With both cages you need to either cover or replace the plastic pans, most chins chew plastic sooner or later which can cause a blockage in their gut. The fleece is not hard to get, any fabric store or even Walmart sell it, If you have a Jo Ann fabric store near you they frequently have sales, currently online they are selling the solid color anti-pill for $6 a yard. The easiest way to make the pan liners I've found is make pillow cases out of it that fit the pans, fold in half and sew up two sides leaving extra to tuck under at the end. So long as the chin doesn't chew the fleece (in which case you have to find a different option for bedding) I find it works well. Another option that people do is buy bass pans, they are metal pans that fit where the plastic pans go, so no need to cover them, but they also have higher sides so you can use wood shavings litter if you want. For the half cage size shelves most people seems to replace those with wood shelves and perches.

Another cage option that some people go with that doesn't require changing out plastic pans is the Quality Cage chinchilla cages. I've never tried them personally but they look like they are all set up for chinchillas as is, but they are expensive and I personally don't like the smaller doors, I have a Ferret Nation which has the two full size doors like the Critter Nation.

The biggest difference between the feisty ferret and the critter nation aside from bar spacing and orientation is the FF only has one door per level that opens, the CN has both doors that open which makes cleaning, decorating and rearranging the cage much easier. The FF is also more cheaply made and I've heard rusts most easily. With both cages you need to either cover or replace the plastic pans, most chins chew plastic sooner or later which can cause a blockage in their gut. The fleece is not hard to get, any fabric store or even Walmart sell it, If you have a Jo Ann fabric store near you they frequently have sales, currently online they are selling the solid color anti-pill for $6 a yard. The easiest way to make the pan liners I've found is make pillow cases out of it that fit the pans, fold in half and sew up two sides leaving extra to tuck under at the end. So long as the chin doesn't chew the fleece (in which case you have to find a different option for bedding) I find it works well. Another option that people do is buy bass pans, they are metal pans that fit where the plastic pans go, so no need to cover them, but they also have higher sides so you can use wood shavings litter if you want. For the half cage size shelves most people seems to replace those with wood shelves and perches.

Another cage option that some people go with that doesn't require changing out plastic pans is the Quality Cage chinchilla cages. I've never tried them personally but they look like they are all set up for chinchillas as is, but they are expensive and I personally don't like the smaller doors, I have a Ferret Nation which has the two full size doors like the Critter Nation.

THANK YOU :)
I heard that not all chinchillas will chew the plastic especially since its hard but I will see. So I plan to get the critter nation at first and then slowly start adding fleece and wood ledges. Thanks

oh and there are no joanns or walmarts in ny so I dont know where I could get fleece from besides online so can I just use a blanket or something?

no blankets. Chins will chew and possibly eat it. Cant let that happen. Also overheating is always the big concern with chins. Probably wouldn't want blankets with them anyway.

There are joanns in NY i believe, but the store locator on there site doesn't seem to be working atm. You can always buy online from them. But ill warn you to check your product when you get it. Last time i ordered blizzard fleece from them and they sent my alpine fleece (or something like that)

You could probably Google to find fabric/craft stores in your area, Hancock fabrics and hobby lobby may be big enough they're in your area. (although i'm surprised there's somewhere without a walmart)

oh and there are no joanns or walmarts in ny so I dont know where I could get fleece from besides online so can I just use a blanket or something?

Doing a quick search there are over 100 Walmarts in New York and over 30 JoAnn Fabric stores. You can use blizzard or ant-pill fleece (the only chin safe fabric) blankets, but it's a lot cheaper to just buy the fabric. Also most fleece blankets, especially the cheap ones, are micro fleece which is not what you want.

Doing a quick search there are over 100 Walmarts in New York and over 30 JoAnn Fabric stores. You can use blizzard or ant-pill fleece (the only chin safe fabric) blankets, but it's a lot cheaper to just buy the fabric. Also most fleece blankets, especially the cheap ones, are micro fleece which is not what you want.

Sorry I didnt clarify, I mean new york city and not upstate because upstate is over 4 hours away. But yeah Ill look at some craft stores to see if they have it and just get fleece. Thanks guys.

I never covered the cage . My chins never chewed the plastic shelves , I also lay towels on the shelves . Keeps it cleaner and warmer for their feet . My chin is twenty now so it works.

Back