Couple questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

Okay i have two completly diff questions,the first and most important is-
For those of you that dont know,maggie(my chin) had giardia. She seems to have gotten rid of it. Her poop has not been squishy and she has been acting back to normal for over a week now. I want to bring her to the vet to be positive tho before i buy a bunch of new shelves and toys to put in her cage. So the question is that my vet sends the poop out to a lab to to be looked at.... This is the same thing she did before when it came back positive for giardia,but i have read on this forum somewhere(i cant find it now) that the poo has to be tested within 2 min or it isnt accurate?! Does anybody know if this is true or false?!

My other question was that maggie has never seemed to like chewing wood very much. She chews it a little,she has applewood sticks,bark, and those colored chewing sticks but she absolutly LOVES loofahs i just put in an order for 45 little loofahs from someone on this forum lol. I give her one everynight and she loves it and its gone by morning. Is this normal?! Im only asking because people are always saying on here how there chins chew so much wood. I guess they all must have there own preferences tho.

I can't answer the first question - sorry. =(

You haven't had her very long, right? She may not know that she is supposed to chew the wood. I would keep offering it to her. 5 of my 5 chins love apple sticks, some only chew the bark off but my female will turn the entire stick into dust.

The fecal test is fine as long as it is done within 48 hrs and not froze at any point before testing. As for the wood chewing, it depends on the individual. Soe chew a little and others a lot.

Okay thank you guys :)
I will keep offering it to her. She ha a hanging wood toy but she seems to like them better when i just give her a stick or twig that she can hold and run around with.

You could email Ronda and ask her if you can get a variety box to sample different types. My guys only like apple, mulberry and sycamore every couple of months but they love cottonwood all the time. Finicky little creatures.

I ordered a few diff woods from her so hopefully she will like them

Back