Couple Questions about Malo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanov8

I just have a couple questions. It's for my own sake of knowing, but you guys are awesome with giving detailed answers. :thumbsup: My question is can chins whose parents(grandparents, etc) don't have malo get it or is it only genetic? I know that you only breed when you know the pedigree's because of several reasons and malo being one of them. So if there is no malo in the pedigree can it just pop up at some point?? Just trying to get more knowledgeable about these guys!

I've heard yes that it can pop up but I will leave it to the experts to give the detailed answers.

Malo can pop up at any time. In my opinion it is a recessive trait that can not be totally eliminated from chins no matter how selective chin breeders are. I also believe malocclusion sometimes occurs due to environmental conditions. For example: dropping a kit from a high distance can injure the mouth causing teeth to grow unevenly.

I agree, it can just pop up. I had a chin from a really great breeder who developed malo. They stated that it hadn't shown up any where else in the line, so it just sometimes happens.

Back