Could a chinchilla develop diabetes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

I adopted one of my chinchillas a couple of years ago from a woman who fed him more treats than pellets. I changed his pellets (mazuri) and he got on fine, but recently I've noticed that he urinates SO much and he is the only one of my chinchillas who doesn't just pick one spot, so it's everywhere in his cage. He also eats and drinks more than the rest. I do not feed them anything with sugar. Their treats are wood chews. Has anyone experienced this?

Symptoms of diabetes in chins is a large appetite with weight loss, excessive urination, the thirst is almost like the chin gets freaky at the water bottle, lethargy and weakness at the back legs, painful tummy and may cry when picked up, fruity smelling breath. The symptom of peeing everywhere can also be a bladder infection, if this is a new symptom and not just the way the chin has been, I would think about a vet visit.

Thank you for supplying me with the symptoms. All I really know about diabetes in humans are the three poly's and the fruity breath!! He has always urinated wherever his little bladder desires, but I noticed today that one of his fleece-lined ledges was soaked, and decided that I've silently wondered about this long enough. He has not lost weight. I don't really "pick them up," I let them stand in my hands. He always squeaks when I try to scoop him up, though.

Yes they can.

One of my rescue boys was diagnosed with diabetes shortly before he died. He stopped eating on his own and I started handfeeding. Took him to the vet and he was diagnosed. Unfortunately, he didn't make it.
Fruity smelling breath... apparently not everyone can smell it while others can smell it really well.
I would take him to see a vet.

Back