Cost of breeding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I'm just curious about the general cost of breeding/ raising kits. Mira surprised me with three kits last week, leading to the need for a baby safe cage. That alone was $230. Then food, chew toys, fleece...I've probably spent close to $350-$400 on Mira and her kits alone in the past week. And Mira herself was free! And possible future vet bills if anything was to go wrong. I practically have my poor vet on speed dial! Just adding up my own cost with three kits, I can't even begin to imagine what a breeder's cost would be. Do things balance out with selling kits? I would ask an adoption fee for Miras kits, but I wouldn't "break even". That doesn't matter to me at all, I just want them to find good homes when the time comes.

A rough estimate for my breeding herd is $100 a chin per year...in the hole. That doesn't include the cost of the chins themselves or the cages I made many years ago, but does include membership fees, vet bills, show expenses, pet sitting costs, bedding, food, toys, shelves, etc.
This is AFTER factoring in the money we made back from selling kits!

Last year, we did spend a lot more than average on pet sitting and had less kits born, so hopefully this year will be a little bit less expensive.

Wow. I didn't realize that! Thank you for the information, it's very interesting to know. I can't imagine vet bills for that many animals! I cringe when my bills go over $100 for any animal. But for my chins it's normal. It's actually cheaper if I take two, my vet normally only charges me for one :p

You're supposed to be able to make a profit with 100 breeding females, but I've never figured out how!

I have probably spent like 10,000 or 20,000 dollars over the almost 3 years, I have been breeding, if I am mistaken, I am quite sure that at least 10 thousand on breeding stock, and then their cages, which each where about 100 each, and toys, houses, water bottles, with just the glass water bottles, I have spent like $150-$200, food I spend about $80 for pellets for one month, and then $80 in hay for two months, so I could spend at least $100 to $200 every month, and I probably sell in average one kit per month, there's been months that I don't sell anything, and then, there's been months that I sell two or three, but still.

I think that I have spent much more than I what have actually made, I have probably recovered some money, but I don't think that I have recovered everything that I have spent, as you continue to spend on them every month, so most of the money that I could make on kits, goes back to the food rather than the money that I spent getting them.

I have meant to keep accounting records of all the expenses and sales, but I am quite busy to do the chins, selling them, buying supplies, clean my house, have a job, go to the gym and spend time with my family, so probably it would take me a while to decide to start keeping records of what I spend, but I know that for sure I have spent more than what I have made.

You're supposed to be able to make a profit with 100 breeding females, but I've never figured out how!

would other ranchers make more money if they sell the chins as pelts? Myself I don't know how some ranchers can handle 1,000 chins!

I always heard 300... but either way. In today's market on pelts, no.

I spend $12.00 a day on feed, not including hay, shavings, supplement, electricity, dust, or any of that...

I always heard 300... but either way. In today's market on pelts, no.

I spend $12.00 a day on feed, not including hay, shavings, supplement, electricity, dust, or any of that...

Whether 100 or 300, I'll never break even, I don't think I could handle that many!

It's definitely a "hobby" for me, and surprisingly a less expensive hobby than my cello was in high school!

would other ranchers make more money if they sell the chins as pelts? Myself I don't know how some ranchers can handle 1,000 chins!

There is less money in pelts because you have to grow out the chins for a year.

You can make money at it but nOt a sustainable amount in today's market.

The key to breaking even is longetivity and frugal purchases. For example, after 15 years I've already made the initial investments and breed my own replacements. Aggressive culling has left me with a low maintenance healthy herd. Accrued knowledge keeps me clear of vet bills with a few exceptions. Now the chins pay for thmselves.... I only go in the hole when I attend shows. Basically they pay for me to take chin related trips and get a new addition once a year.

Monthly costs without any medical fees is $50 for 13 here at the furball ranch.

Cost for starting up herds is expensive. Even hobby herd start up. Guess it depends on what your looking for and if someone has what you need. Many pet people will pay a bit more for "cute" chins.

I would think ranchers do a bit better with pelting. Overall I don't think many make money.

I'm with Spoof. The shows help me out with sales.

The key to breaking even is longetivity and frugal purchases. For example, after 15 years I've already made the initial investments and breed my own replacements. Aggressive culling has left me with a low maintenance healthy herd. Accrued knowledge keeps me clear of vet bills with a few exceptions. Now the chins pay for thmselves.... I only go in the hole when I attend shows. Basically they pay for me to take chin related trips and get a new addition once a year.

I agree. At this point my chins cover all their own expenses (food, hay, shavings, caging, wooden houses/shelving, vet bills, utilities), but they definitely did not at the beginning! I don't make a lot of chin purchases anymore, but keep much of what I breed and occasionally bring in a new chin or 2 for fresh bloodlines and only after I've had a big baby boom and increased sales.

Additionally I've found that selling the chin supplies along with chinchillas has really helped to pay for the supplies themselves. I don't actively advertise that I sell supplies, I simply have it up on my website and ask my customers if they would like to buy supplies when they come to pick up their new chinchillas. I now have many regulars though that bought their chins from me years ago and still buy all their pellets, hay, dust, and oat supplement from me, so it works out well!

Cheryl

Initial start up costs, buying animals, cages, equipment, supplies, everything that's needed is a substantial investment and very costly at first. If you're able to financially handle that loss the first couple years and figure out what your market is for your chins whether it be selling pets, or pelts, or breeding stock, or a combination of these, you can get to a point where your herd pays for itself and even becomes profitable. It takes a lot of hard work, a clear vision of what your focus and goals are with your herd, and a understanding of how many animals are the right size for you to attain those goals and eventually become profitable. There is no magic number of animals that will guarantee everyone a profit. It's more about personal herd management, making good business decisions, and creating a marketable product. Personally, raising chinchillas is a passion and a hobby for me. My goals are to raise the most top quality chins I can, because that is my passion, and try to make enough in sales to pay all my expenses that are associated with breeding and raising chinchillas. Those are my goals, but for every chinchilla breeder it is different based on their own decisions with their breeding herd.

I am surprised to hear that some of you come close to breaking even or can even turn a profit. How do you sell so many chins? Is it to other breeders or the pet market? I can't imagine the demand is that high. I know the pet market is bigger now than it ever has been, but still seems fairly small compared to the number of breeders and chins produced.

I am surprised to hear that some of you come close to breaking even or can even turn a profit. How do you sell so many chins? Is it to other breeders or the pet market? I can't imagine the demand is that high. I know the pet market is bigger now than it ever has been, but still seems fairly small compared to the number of breeders and chins produced.

Kate - I think the demand is really based upon where you are located, how far you are willing to travel for a chin sale, and how many competitors you have in your area. How much money you make is relative to how many chins there are for sale in your area relative to that demand.

I personally sell to both pet customers as well as other breeders. I don't have much in the way of competition in all of CT, RI, or MA, though there are a few smaller breeders than myself. I know most if not all of them and we are all willing to pass customers to each other when we do not have what that individual is looking for. That makes it easier for us to sell what we have, and easier for the customers to get what they want. None of us has a huge amount of chins for sale at any given time. As long as that remains true, we won't have to worry about not having the demand for our chins.

Additionally I attend as many shows as I can and that's where I make the majority of my sales to other breeders. It's also a great form of advertisement if you do well and will get you future sales. I know it is where I will purchase the majority of my herd improvement breeders, so likewise I will try and bring animals that I am willing to sell to others for their herd improvement. Since we all know there are only so many chins (males specifically) that we can keep!

Cheryl

There is more money in pets and breeding stock than pelts by far. And the pet end is growing faster than the animals are being produced. I get 2-3 times more animals requested than I can supply for pets right now.

Back