Color mistery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightstarchins

Okay, this is a first for me, I am stumped about this one.

I had a male baby born that looks 100% like a pink-white, but here comes the mistery, his Sire is a homo-beige and his Dam is a hetero-beige. They have had several litters together in the past and naturally all they ever had were beige or homo beige babies.
When this male was first born I was surprised but figured he would darken into a beige with time, but he was born May 5th, which makes him almost 8 weeks now, and he is still white. He has very slight beige tipping, but that is also normal for a pink-white.

Did anyone else ever have a pink-white fall out of two beiges, or had one still turn into a beige as they mature?

Claudia

I had a standard and a beige produce what looked like a pink white once...I couldn't figure that out and the baby NEVER darkened to this day.

I don't know if your little guy will darken! That's so strange...

Do you have pictures of him? (I just had to ask, mostly because I want to see a cute, fuzzy, young chinchilla...)

Lol Susan, I should have known better than not to take pictures, I will do that asap ;).

His grand sire is a tov pink-white, but that should be irrelevant since the white gene does not carry. I really don`t know about this one....

Claudia

he could be a very very pale homo beige...I have seen that. There are also some cases of non white animals producing a white doesn't happen often but is can happen. I have a genetic theory on that but I won't get into it as it makes much more sense in my head than written out

When you do a lot of homo beige x beige x homo beige in a line you will get pale babies, white babies and babies with white rings around ears/eyes/legs/tail or white patches.

When bred to a standard they'll throw normal hetero beige kits. It has something to do with crossing that much beige. The strange thing about them is they never change color as they age.

I have to apologize for the horrible lighting in these pics, for some reason everything has a green hue. I think a new camera is in order soon, lol.

In some of these pics you can see his beige tipping better than if you see him in person.

Claudia

His Sire is the only homo beige in the pedigrees, on the Dams side the only colors recorded are the grandparents, beige and standard.
On the Sires side it`s beige, standard, pink-white, one black-velvet and the tov pink-white.

Claudia

Wow, he looks pretty white, it is hard to determine how he turned out to come white like that, but also, I noticed that on chins.com, they were selling a white mosaic chin for $7,000 US, because it came from 2 standards, so I guess it can happen, also, wasn't it like that the all the other colors came out actually from standards? such as beige, white, black, etc.?

He looks like he could be a very very very very light homo beige to me. Like Tara said, if you cross enough beige you'll sometimes show up with a kit that light. It would be interesting to see what he produces with a standard.

Do you have photos of the male? Are you sure the male is not a dark pink white?

I can't really tell much with the green there... but I can see the tipping. I had a chin I thought was a homo beige, turned out she was a pink white, she barely had a bit of white on the tip of her tail, some older ranchers caught it at a show.

Jim actually kept that female, and she has produced white kits for him, I recently asked him about it.

I've been very interested in this thread and following the discussion of what this mystery kit is, but for some reason I cannot see the pictures... I've tried both google chrome and internet explorer... neither of which is showing the pics... in other threads, i see pictures just fine... any one know what is up with this?

I think the database croaked. It had earlier. First case of greenpictureitis I've seen take down a database... You really should get that camera calibrated, green photos are dangerous you know. :D

I don't see the sire pic. But if it is Flash and Holly I'd check her tail real good, lol.
Otherwise I see Flash is from Cathy who has a large selection of Doug Wilson's chins, and if I remember correctly I believe I was told that the Goldbars came from animals out of Doug Wilson's lines...

Tara, shhh, noone is supposed to know that I was the one bringing down the forum, lol.

Flash is the Sire, but Holly is not the Dam, the Dam is a hetero-beige bred by Bob Smith. She is not pictured on my Website, it needs to be updated.

Nicole, Goldbars, hmmm, maybe I need to hang on to this little guy for a while longer.

Claudia

Send him up this way... the best way to know would be to breed him and see what you get! I've got spare cages... lol

I can't see any of the pictures either... so you aren't alone, Clairinuto

Back