Color Changes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winknfox

"Loving my chinchillas"
When I first got my Jax, he was almost all white. The breeder said he was born looking just like a standard. Now, he is 6 mo. old now and is getting darker again. I don't have all colors down at the moment and have read of ebony and silver mosiacs. I searched the forum for a picture of a silver mosiac without luck. Is Jax a silver mosiac? Is there a big difference between mosiac and silver mosiac or are all mosiacs just considered the same? His tail didn't make it in the picture, but it is half gray half white, not sure if that makes a difference or if its an identifying mark???

In the pic it almost seems like his fur has been chewed or not of the same length, but it is. He has splashes of white and even one really dark spot throughout. Would his color be considered unclear since it is such a mix of color? I am wanting to get into showing so all of these questions are a way for me to learn.

Attachments

• dec30 020.jpg
    dec30 020.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 69
I don't know his "official" color....but he is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't begin to wonder until I did a search on yahoo for a silver mosiac chinchilla and one of the first images was a male on chinchillas.com that was a supposed silver mosiac and he looks alot like my Jax in color. Here is the link to that chin...

http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=896059440

I have read on other posts that chinchillas.com isn't the best source of info and so I posted here.

Too many people use white and mosaic interchangeably and it drives me batty. ^^ .COM is supposedly an authority on chinchillas, but using "silver mosaic" (which is an oxymoron), misspelling "goldbar," and calling chins such as this one and this one (among several others) silver when they are clearly mosaic is all inaccurate.

Of course, I'm pretty much the only person that cares about any of this. =p It's not of any great importance.

Last edited:
I have two changing color chins, my mosaic was all white except for a band on his tail when he was young, then he went very light grey with a with a patch on his hip when he was 2-7 years old, now he is almost white again except for the band on his tail and a grey stripe down his back, the other P/W was almost white when I got him but now his butt and tail is tan and he has a mask.

Mish, if there are no markings on the white, and it is not a pink white, should it be referred to as a Wilson White? Just wondering.

I refer to my whites as whites or mosaics....unless they are pink whites or white ebonies..the white ebony more as a show that that have ebony in them.

most of the other terms are used as selling terms. I know there are silvers out there I am not arguing that point but most "silvers" are a sale term, like Panda or extreme or reverse they are all mosaics

Wilson white is the name of the white mutation, not an all-white animal. I would just call it a "white" or if at an MCBA show, "predominantly white."

A white chin with dark ears is still a mosaic even if it has no grey markings. All chins who have the dominant white gene are "Wilson whites".

Not at an MCBA show, it would be Predominantly White. Mosaics must have markings.

But yes, people using "Wilson White" when they mean predominantly white also drives me batty. Mosaics, silvers, predominantly whites, and whites with dark guard hair all have the Wilson white mutation.

He is so pretty. He reminds me of my lil guy echo. He's about a year old and is starting to get a dark grey spot on his thigh.

Back