Christopher Neuter

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraighenry

I'm not really asking for help or anything. I'm just very worried. Christopher was neutered yesterday. I guess the surgery went well. He's not eating on his own. We're feeding him Critical Care.

Thankfully we have a great vet, he called me this morning to find out how he was doing. No poop, no pee and obviously in a lot of pain until we gave him his morning dose of pain meds. We tried bribing him with a rose hip but it didn't work. :( We did get him into the vet today and they got him on some motility drugs, gave him a SC injection and fed him a little bit.

The sutures are internal and he is peeing and pooping now after being hand fed.

Poor little guy.

We're at least pretty sure he's getting good care. They love him at the hospital :). Keep threatening to steal him!

Last edited:
Unfortunately a chin in pain usually doesn't eat. That is why you have to hand feed or force feed until the chin eats on his own. Sometimes that take a couple or a few weeks. That is why we don't recommend surgery for a chin unless it is necessary

I had 5 chins neutered and so far never had a problem. The vet I have is great. They always ate and drank on the 1st night. Your chin will be ok.

Thanks. :( The surgery was yesterday, he's just kind of sitting there right now, breathing heavily and still not eating or drinking. I'm really freaked out. I could tell he was in pain earlier, thank god we have medication.

But I guess it's been a pretty stressful two days. Two vet trips, 4 car trips, people poking him...

Our guy had to be hand fed for a few days, crushed pellets and water, then he perked up and was fine. He needed pain meds longer then our guinea pig that was neutered on the same day.

My thoughts are with you and your other chin, I just look at the photos of Christopher in one of your other threads and he sure looked like a special little man.

It really sucks that you had to go through an ordeal like this when you thought you initilally purchased a same sex pair :(

Latest posts

Back