Choking chin ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv0195

Nick
I was just wondering what i should do if i saw my chinchilla choking ? , i just want to be prepared if it does happen and if it takes awhile to get to the vet

most likely you can't do anything for a choking chin. When people are choking it means something is lodged deep in their airway preventing them from breathing. Chins are too small to perform the heimlich manuever on--you would do more harm than good. You can certainly try to see if they would allow you to open their mouth and see if anything is stuck in there--although I highly doubt it. I believe a choking chinchilla is rare, but it's probably not unheard of.

Nick, this isn't an emergency. Please don't post to the emergency section unless it IS an emergency. When people see an emergency, they get all geared up to help. In this case, you could have asked it in the health and hygiene section.

ok , sorry i wasn't sure where to post it.

Nick, this isn't an emergency. Please don't post to the emergency section unless it IS an emergency. When people see an emergency, they get all geared up to help. In this case, you could have asked it in the health and hygiene section.

Could you sorta gently swing it by the base of its tail for a few seconds in the hope that the blockage would fall straight out??

warning: LONG reply ahead!!!

chinchillas get the same type of choke that horses and rabbits get which is generally caused by eating too fast or eating something too large to pass through the esophagus. apparently they dont really have a complete blockage of breathing when this happens (im guessing because of the structure of the epiglottis? still trying to figure out why that is) but it does cause quite a bit of problems and its a vet visit for sure.

choke in chinchillas is described the same as with rabbits which is labored (but not absent) breathing and salivation and anorexia (lack of eating) being the only signs you are going to have. you should be able to get them to a vet if you see this kind of behavior which by the way, is the only way its going to be treated because the only treatments of choke i can find are killing off peristalsis (the action that makes the food move through the digestive tract) and if that doesnt do it, the use of a gastric tube into the stomach... as a general point, you wont have the drugs to kill the peristalsis and you would be insane to try the tube...

this kind of choke is cause by a couple things that are easily preventable.
not being fed enough. chinchillas (as well as rabbits and horses) that are not fed enough eat their food faster and wind up not chewing it as much. this causes the food to not be able to go down the esophagus as easily. the lack of chewing decreases the wear on teeth, causing dental problems which causes them to not chew as much as they should which re-enforces the problem.
the second cause is foods they shouldnt be eating in the first place. they arent designed to eat rasins papya and prunes. we like to give that stuff to them, but they are not designed to eat it. in a well fed chin? probably not that big a deal when limited to a reasonable amount.. but in a chin thats not eating well and is not chewing properly because its so starved? going to cause a problem. this is why you need to limit those kinds of treats.
last problem is the obvious 'ate something you shouldnt have' such as a gobots head or part of voltrons foot (plastics etc). if thats whats causing the choke, the same symptoms should be present so dont waste time swinging your poor chin by its tail or trying to stick your fingers (which are way to big) into a freaked out chins mouth so he can clamp down on you. remember rule #1 in any emergency is...if you make yourself part of the emergency (such as by letting your chin clamp his teeth down on your finger cause you stuck it in his mouth) you have just become useless to the situation... stay calm and get to the vet... you will have plenty of time to fall to pieces after that.

fyi, it took me about 2 hrs to research all of this and put it together... i didnt just pull this stuff out of thin air...

As far as the above post goes, choke is almost unheard of in healthy chinchillas due to eating. Malocclusion chins, which is something more seen in the chin community, do get choke since they cannot masticate pellets as well as healthy chins. Chins can get wood lodged in the back of the throat and a emergency vet visit is needed. Since choke is that rare in healthy chins I don't think its something a owner needs to worry about, there are other afflictions that occur to chins that are more common and should be researched.

Ok, thank you so much.

chinchillas get the same type of choke that horses and rabbits get which is generally caused by eating too fast or eating something too large to pass through the esophagus. apparently they dont really have a complete blockage of breathing when this happens (im guessing because of the structure of the epiglottis? still trying to figure out why that is) but it does cause quite a bit of problems and its a vet visit for sure.

choke in chinchillas is described the same as with rabbits which is labored (but not absent) breathing and salivation and anorexia (lack of eating) being the only signs you are going to have. you should be able to get them to a vet if you see this kind of behavior which by the way, is the only way its going to be treated because the only treatments of choke i can find are killing off peristalsis (the action that makes the food move through the digestive tract) and if that doesnt do it, the use of a gastric tube into the stomach... as a general point, you wont have the drugs to kill the peristalsis and you would be insane to try the tube...

this kind of choke is cause by a couple things that are easily preventable.
not being fed enough. chinchillas (as well as rabbits and horses) that are not fed enough eat their food faster and wind up not chewing it as much. this causes the food to not be able to go down the esophagus as easily. the lack of chewing decreases the wear on teeth, causing dental problems which causes them to not chew as much as they should which re-enforces the problem.
the second cause is foods they shouldnt be eating in the first place. they arent designed to eat rasins papya and prunes. we like to give that stuff to them, but they are not designed to eat it. in a well fed chin? probably not that big a deal when limited to a reasonable amount.. but in a chin thats not eating well and is not chewing properly because its so starved? going to cause a problem. this is why you need to limit those kinds of treats.
last problem is the obvious 'ate something you shouldnt have' such as a gobots head or part of voltrons foot (plastics etc). if thats whats causing the choke, the same symptoms should be present so dont waste time swinging your poor chin by its tail or trying to stick your fingers (which are way to big) into a freaked out chins mouth so he can clamp down on you. remember rule #1 in any emergency is...if you make yourself part of the emergency (such as by letting your chin clamp his teeth down on your finger cause you stuck it in his mouth) you have just become useless to the situation... stay calm and get to the vet... you will have plenty of time to fall to pieces after that.

fyi, it took me about 2 hrs to research all of this and put it together... i didnt just pull this stuff out of thin air...

As far as the above post goes, choke is almost unheard of in healthy chinchillas due to eating. Malocclusion chins, which is something more seen in the chin community, do get choke since they cannot masticate pellets as well as healthy chins. Chins can get wood lodged in the back of the throat and a emergency vet visit is needed. Since choke is that rare in healthy chins I don't think its something a owner needs to worry about, there are other afflictions that occur to chins that are more common and should be researched.

im not sure what to say....

sorry i wasted my own time researching something that was asked for which there is not a lot of information on?

The research was done on a situation that may be more common in other animals than healthy chinchillas, I was pointing out that the choke is more common in malo chins-something you left out that could be important to malo chin owners if we are going to talk about choke. I also said that the OP being so new to chinchillas should, if they are researching anything, do so on afflictions that are more common-bloat, stasis, loose poo, eye infections, malocclusion, heart conditions, etc, not something that will most likely never be seen by any owner.

The research was done on a situation that may be more common in other animals than healthy chinchillas, I was pointing out that the choke is more common in malo chins-something you left out that could be important to malo chin owners if we are going to talk about choke. I also said that the OP being so new to chinchillas should, if they are researching anything, do so on afflictions that are more common-bloat, stasis, loose poo, eye infections, malocclusion, heart conditions, etc, not something that will most likely never be seen by any owner.

i will agree that i did not specifically state it was more common in mallo.
the OP and anyone else should be free to research whatever topics they choose to...and more importantly ask any questions they feel free to ask or are even just curious about.

THAT is what a forum such as this is INTEDED to be here for. so people can ask questions on not only topics that are important and common, but also topics they may just find interesting or even off the wall stuff.
its not up to you or anyone else for that matter to decide what is and is not important enough to be researched. and while i have held my peace for quite a while as can be attested to by other members of this form... but i will NOT let anyone say what is and is not important enough to be researched or asked about without expressing my thoughts on it.

now, if my time and efforts are being wasted becase i find some things that may be a rare occurance personally interesting when someone asks a question in those areas... by all means let me know...

You are new to chins, internet research is not a good replacment for actual experience since a good part of the info is wrong and that info is parroted everywhere. You would not KNOW its common in malo chins since only long term malo chin owners would know that, its my point, you have not had chins long enough to provide "research" since your info is coming from who knows what sources-which you did not footnote or provide links and it looks like you copy and pasted some of it. Health advice is best to come from experienced owners who have actually lived what is being asked about, rather than questionable internet research that is not cited where it came from.

harbinger, information is great. We all know this, but making sure it's given correctly is more important. It's fine to put the information out there, but don't get defensive when a more experienced member corrects the information. Dawn, unfortunately, probably has the most experience out of any member on this board with treating malocclusion and what is or is not common for a malo chin.

To the OP, I have to agree with Dawn that choke is not something the average chinchilla owner has to worry about. Unless one of your girls or your boy comes down with malo, I would not be rushing to the vet anytime the chin sneezes or gags. I've had chins that start eating too fast and maybe a piece of hay got stuck somewhere and they do a yawning motion (kind of like a gag) to move whatever it is into the right place, then they go about chewing again. Not one of them has seen a vet and not one of them has died.

Sorry, HOD, but Dawn is one of the MOST knowledgeable members of this forum.

Don't burn any bridges with her -- many members have benefitted from her vast experience. Who knows -- you might be the next person who needs her help... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
i will agree that i did not specifically state it was more common in mallo.
the OP and anyone else should be free to research whatever topics they choose to...and more importantly ask any questions they feel free to ask or are even just curious about.

THAT is what a forum such as this is INTEDED to be here for. so people can ask questions on not only topics that are important and common, but also topics they may just find interesting or even off the wall stuff.
its not up to you or anyone else for that matter to decide what is and is not important enough to be researched. and while i have held my peace for quite a while as can be attested to by other members of this form... but i will NOT let anyone say what is and is not important enough to be researched or asked about without expressing my thoughts on it.

now, if my time and efforts are being wasted becase i find some things that may be a rare occurance personally interesting when someone asks a question in those areas... by all means let me know...

Thank you for posting the information you had researched. I don't think anyone would necessarily disagree with your above thoughts in principle. You are absolutely right that forums are here for educational purposes as well as to support each other but Dawn & Tab are also correct: Information needs to be given with the knowledge/experience to turn theory into practical advice.

Now please don't get me wrong. I am not saying what you have posted is not interesting - indeed it is - but what experience brings to the forum are the day to day practicalities for chinchilla owners. What Dawn has posted is the reality behind the theory you have posted - those two things combined make for more rounded, thorough, practical information.

Dawn had not rubbished your efforts but she has brought experience into the mix. Theory doesn't always add up with chins - you will find that out the longer you keep them - just like we all have. That's why we post - to marry up the two: theory & practice.

I would recommend that if you want to post information you at least add references to where you got the info - as you pointed out, there's not much info out there about choking in chins. IMHO that in itself is a clue - it's not very common so people don't write about it.
I'd also suggest try to you stop being so defensive - you've not had chins for long & people are actually trying to help you so that you have good information.

Could you sorta gently swing it by the base of its tail for a few seconds in the hope that the blockage would fall straight out??

dont waste time swinging your poor chin by its tail

I didn't get defensive when you addressed my post, only when you said yourself we as a forum shouldn't do things like that.

If we are going to talk about choke then here is some info on treating choke on rats in the case of a emergency-sort of like the heimlich maneuver that can be used on chinchillas if the chin is not able to breathe, IMO it would be better than dying on the way to the vet. It also has guidelines for watching a choking rat without treating it if it does breathe, I think this also can apply to chinchillas-rats being that they cannot vomit like chins and are more closer in size, treatment for them is more reasonable to talk about than talking about treatment for a horse.

Addictedtochins was closer in her response than we thought, her idea is fairly close to the way rats are treated!

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/choking.htm

Last edited:
Aside from what Dawn posted, I want to say that this (Therese's comment) would not be a bad idea, though I would not do it just by the tail. A breeder would do a baby swing. For those who don't breed, it's where you cup the chin in your hands, secure their head and body, raise your arms, and swing down briskly. In a kit, it can remove fluids from their lungs, so it stands to reason that you could do it with an adult to dislodge a possible blockage.

When Bear was sick he got choked on a pellet. I did the baby swing as Peggy has described, and it flung the pellet right out.

Back