chins wont take dust bath....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tams

neither one of my chins will take a dust bath, I can get one to at least get it, but he doesn't roll around at all! My 2 chins I used to have years ago LOVED bath time! Why won't these guys!?

Chinchillas will dust when they're comfortable enough to do so. You haven't had them very long at all so I wouldn't worry about it; they'll eventually feel comfortable enough to dust. Some skittish chins will dust when you're not looking, so you could put a bath in their cage and leave them be and they might jump into it. Don't leave it in there for more than twenty minutes or so.

Might also be they're not comfortable with the container - what did the previous owner use?
I've had some success with putting my fingertips in the dust and 'flicking' it at them - don't know if it's the smell or what, but sometimes it works!

Chins can be nervous, especially new chins. Put the dust bath in the cage and walk away. I go back and check in about 20 min. and 99% of the time I can see they have dusted. Some are just shy about bath time in front of the humans. :p

i have had some trouble with this also and i try and give them their space and let them watch my other chins that do take baths well. if they start to look too bad and still are not taking a bath i will rub some dust on them to clean them up a little bit. one liked to sit in the dust but never rolled or anything and sprinkling some dust on them helped also. just try and be patient and give them time

i have also heard a difference in what you are giving them their bath in will make a difference ex. bowl, pan, or house something else to consider

I got some different dust from Carise of forCHINate chins, and they went RIGHT to it! They both try to get in the darn dust house at the same time!

Back