Chins Outside?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary1990

I've had my girls for a few months now, and I'm moving out of my apartment and into a house. I've been planning on getting a new cage for them, but where I'm moving has a rabbit hutch outside. There's an enclosed area in the back of the hutch, and some people are suggesting I put them in there. while I know their natural habitat is cold, this does concern me. I'm concerned that even though there is the shelter behind that the wind will be too much for them, and also a large portion is thick wood. would they chew their way out?

Please help? Are they right? the girls would have plenty of place to run around. I could finally get a wheel for them too.

I absolutely would NOT keep chins outside. They are very heat sensitive, and drafts will make them sick. not to mention cats and other predators, and yes they will chew through the wood. I personally do not think it is a good idea.

I would not keep chins outside either. Especially in a rabbit hutch with an unknown past. There's a lot of risk keeping them outside. The chins that you have as pets have never lived in the Andes mountains, and neither did their parents, or likely grandparents even. They were bred to be domesticated and live in houses in cages.

Rabbits have been domesticated a whole lot longer and are kept outside all across the country. The difference is evolution. Chins evolved to a very narrow and low temp range. I don't know anywhere in the US where the temp is mild and stable enough year round for chins without risk of illness.

Please don't even consider it! Temp would be the biggest problem. If the cage is wooden they can chew their way out and escape. There are all kinds of local pets, kids and predators that would be issues. The drafts can cause colds and local birds carry parasites. I don't see 1 good reason anyone would suggest keeping a chinchilla outside.

Chins outside is a VERY BAD idea! As others said, chins are pretty delicate. They need a stable environment plus if they're outside there is always a chance they will get wet and that isn't good for them.

I made the mistake of taking my little girl outside when I first brought her home. I didn't realize that they are prey for every animal out there. The poor thing was a nervous wreck even in her cage. A lot of intelligent owners on this forum and I've learned to do my research.

Another thing to consider with outside weather is moisture. Chinchillas are from a cold mountainous desert. If you are moving into a house and your family wants the chins out of the way, try a basement room that has good lighting and isn't moldy. Basement rooms usually have very stable temperatures year round too.

Also, it sounded like they sugested letting the chin run around the yard, also a very bad idea. They can get through really small spaces (they are all fur!) and excape a yard. Not to mention birds of prey, parasites and the damp grass.

Even rabbits don't have a good life in those outside hutches unless they get a lot of interaction with humans, time out of the cage to play and a place where they can hide from predators. Bunnies and chinchillas can both literally die of fright if a predator is trying to get it, never mind if it actual does get in the cage!

Back