Chins First Couple Weeks Advice? Plus Back Seat Drivers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian123

My first 2 chins, 1 year old females, arrived yesterday and they have been a joy. They were cautious as they arrived at home, but instantly curious and explored their new cage (FN 182) for most the day, quickly learning the ChinSpin, and doing cute things while people were present. No barking, kacking, only a few cute sounds here and there as they explored.

(Link to Pictures)

Despite how calm and relaxed they are, I know they can hide stress. So I have to be careful how much I interact with them, despite how well appear. It's only been 24 hours, so there's no way they feel fully secure in the their new cage. One mistake with bonding could be a huge setback if they can't even feel secure to hide in their new cage.

First Couple Weeks:

From what I've read, the first couple weeks can be considered the most crucial time with your new chinchilla/s. So everything should be taken slow/careful as a precaution to ensure a great future. You can't rush this. For the first part of the week, I'll simply hang out by the cage, talk to them, etc. Then as time goes on, I'll offer my hand, sometimes with a treat, and continue until they trust me enough to come up and check it out, possibly jump on. Not sure if I should offer dust baths inside one level of the cage until it can be placed outside the cage when they are ready for play time. I know normally you wouldn't want to dust bath at all in the cage.

During this bonding time, can there be a problem with too many cooks in the kitchen, sort of speak?

My girlfriend is going to be around for a few weeks, plus I have a roommate/old friend that's home 24/7. My girlfriend doesn't have much to say as she knows I've done my homework, but my roommate is being a back seat driver with a know-it-all attitude, not that he doesn't have pet experience. Sadly though, he comes off demeaning with how he views my lack of pet experience and assumes the worst. Seems like he can do no wrong with his pets (Geckos and a Tegu), or not big deal if he does, but I'm made to feel like a cardinal sin was committed. Today, I have to be clear with him, these are my pets to care for, my mistakes to learn from, slowly discovering their likes and dislikes, and finally, I've done my research, open to advice, but usually confirming with multiple opinions.

Strangely, he thought they should be let out of the cage for play time within 12 hours, with all of us in there, since they seemed calm compared to what he's seen and heard of chinchillas. I felt it was a bad idea, even with his suggestion to open the cage and let the chins decide to come out or not. My experience so far tells me it's not time, too early with any chin, so much can go wrong this early. I played it safe, it was my decision, but he felt like arguing the point why I should. He probably won't like the idea if I say it may be this weekend or longer before such a thing. Am I wrong?

So a question comes to mind:

With so many different people interacting and trying do what they want, should I limit their exposure to other people during their first two weeks as I attempt to bond and care for them?

My roommate and girlfriend are home 24/7, plus stay up late. I work 8-5 and go to sleep on time. Would it be selfish to say they can see the chins a few times a day until weekends? So no hanging out all day with the chins while I'm away at work. It's exciting for all of us, but it's also a crucial time to build their trust with me. I fear the chins will get use to them far quicker, possibly favor them, then give me the stink eye for being the one human that disturbs their cage for cleaning/food and only shows up for limited social time.

Does that sound about right? Limited access while I'm away, so they are exposed more to me on week days as I clean their cage, replenish food, and spend time near them and talk, followed by more group visits on the weekend?

Thanks for any help or advice.

First, they are your pets and your roommate and girlfriend need to respect and understand that. You are in charge! Even if your roommate has had pets before, lizards are much much different than rodents, and chins are even more different than most other rodents. His experience is really moot. If I were you I would set some ground rules, maybe even post them next to the cage. Things like too many treats and chins let loose accidentally can be extremely hazardous to your animals. Tell them no treats and to not even open the cage doors. I believe you have an FN? If so, any petting can easily be done through the bars, on the chins terms. I would also tell them to leave them alone during the day, the chins are going to be sleeping during that time anyway. As far as playtime outside the cage, whenever you think it's time, and you have a safe place set up for it. Again they are your pets, your responsibility, you get to make the decisions. Be firm and clear with your rules and expectations. You might want to hide the treats too, that was my old roommates favorite to give as many treats as he could find.

Thanks for the thoughts. You bring up the good point that they will be sleeping while I'm away, and everyone knows not to bug them during this time. Hiding the treats, also a good idea, the temptation may be too great. Printed basic rules/guidelines would be helpful, especially for guests.

My roommate may of had experience with rodents as a child, maybe a guinea pig, but most his knowledge today is based off reptiles. Even if his memory is good, you still need to research Chinchillas. His Tegu is a surprising creature. Seeing it raised, I've learned how important is to have dedication and to do your research in the first place.

Also, your suggestion with petting through the bars, on the chins terms, is a good compromise. It's actually what I did in the first few hours, which I didn't plan for. Things were going so positive compared to my research, I moved ahead and decided to see what they would do with my hand near the cage. I waited to when one was facing the door and grabbing the bars, focused on me. I gently let them grab my finger and nibble a bit. Simple enough. Did not plan to reach and pet them.

Later, I introduced them to my roommate, told him how well they were doing, and that they grabbed and nibbled my finger through the cage. He interrupted me do say, "What did I tell you," in a disappointing and annoyed tone. Told Me? It was as if I were a child that knew nothing? My pet, my judgement call, that was based on observing them for hours, weighing the consequences to try or not. They were okay with it, which made me feel confident to open the cage to place more timothy hay early on. So it was so odd to then be told to let them out hours later after he observed their behavior.

I'll be more stern like you said, set ground rules, and be clear who's pet this is and that I'm not going in this blindly.

I handle chins from the moment I bring them home. Whether you handle them or not is going to depend on the individual chin. Some chins are terrified and hide in their houses, usually (but not always) it is chins who come from a ranch with very little interaction and very small cages. They go to a pet owners home into a monstrous cage and it is overwhelming. Other chins do absolutely fine. I worry more about a lot of out of cage time for young chins who are still growing.

Tell your roomie to zip it. If he thinks he knows everything there is to know, refer him here. We'll be glad to educate him. :) I have had reptiles. I can count on the knuckle joint of one finger the similarities between reptiles and chins - they eat, they urinate/defecate, and they breathe. That's about it.

Thanks Tunes,

He means well and I'm sure he's not going solely off his reptile knowledge. I suppose maybe I need to show more confidence and stand my ground so he doesn't have to worry that I'm not taking this serious.

I've also mentioned to him that these guys are coming from a breeder, where they are probably not use to out of cage play time, or large cages like you mention. Both together, very overwhelming.

For the large cage, a few times I saw the issue when one or the other became skittish (random noise or movement). Sometimes they were confused where to actually go and hide, especially if the other Chinchilla was in the way. Plus, taking them home at 10am disturbed their sleep nearly all day. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do today after a full sleep.

Oh, here are pictures of the FN 182 cage a day before they came:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=381121#post381121

One quick question to confirm it.

I've read play time isn't absolutely required for chinchillas, but more depends on the setup. If you have a solo chinchilla in a small cage, then in a way, necessary for it to be social and get exercise. If you have two chins for company, housed in large double FN 182, filled with ledges and a ChinSpin, you are not a terrible owner if they don't get out every day.

Last edited:
You did a very nice job on the cage. They will be zooming all over in no time. :)

I think you are doing great and you have every right to set the ground rules. All three of my boys came to us as singles and with each adjustment has been different. By taking the time to watch and understand them it is building trust. Also a little trick I've learned is to wink at my boys. They seem to think this is a good sign and most often wink back. I don't know if other people do this but my boys do.

You're absolutely right, if you have a large enough cage they do not need to come out everyday. I let my 3 boys out about 3 times a week. Always on Wed (cage cleaning) night, and Friday night, and whatever other night(s) we have time.

I love your cage, it looks like they have everything they need. You're a great chinny dad already :)

From reading your posts I think you've done plenty of research to know what is right for your chins. You should move at the speed that you feel comfortable with and tell your roommate to keep quite and let you do what you think is beat for your chins. Having a list of does and don'ts is a great idea. When I have to go out of town and have my friend watch my girls I leave a very long list and they own a chin! They like to joke me about it. I think your chins will be happy and spoiled with you just like they should be.

When I deal with rescues, I let the chin dictate how fast they will go. All get handled regardless of attitude but as far as play, if they want to play that first night, they get to, if they are skittish they can stay in their cage until they tell me they want out, there is nothing set in stone dealing with chins, just guidelines.

If he does it again, try this: "I wouldn't dream of telling you when to mist your geckos or that they should be eating butterworms instead of crickets. You know how to take care of them and did your research on them. I've done months of research on these chinchillas, you haven't, so please back off and let me make the decisions that I think are best. If I decide to get a bearded dragon next, I'll ask for your advice."

Reptiles can get used to handling, but changing so much as a style of light fixture can send some of them off their feed or into a biting/tail whipping stage. Chasing chins around the room the day you bring them home because they don't trust you enough to pick them up and put them back after playtime could well slow down the adjustment process, even though your girls are well-socialized by the breeder (clearly, if you're getting love grooming through the bars). And yes, from a breeder set up to a full FN by themselves can be adjustment enough for some chins! Most chin owners caution slow adjustments for a reason, just like you don't reach out and grab an Argentine/Blue tegu the second you clap eyes on it (which is what I assume he has, b/c if he's got a Columbian, he's either braver or crazier than I!) I can do that with Cuddles, the tegu at the wildlife center where I work, but he's 8 years old and used to being handled and me spoiling him with watermelon. He's named Cuddles for a reason too; good socialization, done at the proper rate, is one of the few necessities chins and intelligent reptiles have in common.

From everything I've read on here (I've been keeping an eye out for your posts since you got started well) you're doing exactly what I'd be doing if I were starting over with the knowledge I have now. Keep asking us what we think is best and tell your roommate to go play with his lizard. ;)

Your right, his Tegu is an Argentina B&W Tegu. We know of that Columbian's reputation.

So far things have gone smoothly for the Tegu that he got as a baby from a reptile expo. Almost 2 years now, but still plenty to grow. He's never bitten anyone so far. Though, I'm always getting blamed will not be tame because I don't handle him every day to get him use to more than one human scent.

That wasn't something discussed or fully agreed prior to him getting it, but a surprise when he decided to buy one during our 2nd trip to www.herpworldexpo.com. I don't care much for lizards, or know nothing about them, how to handle them, etc. When I get off work, I usually have errands to run and arrive home just as the Tegu goes to sleep in his shelter. You can imagine how uncomfortable it is to be expected without any knowledge to handle someone else's pet you know nothing about. I was never given a list with regular updates on handling as it grew and changed. I'd just go off what I'd watch him do and surprised when one thing he said not to do, he started had to do weeks ago.

But anyway, he rarely reminded me and/or offered to do it at the same time. He could of handled him near the time I get home, so he's out, and ask me to come and check the Tegu for 5 minutes with supervision and guidance. Instead, he'd complain out of no where, which then I'd make suggestions, only for months to go by until he randomly complains again.When guests are over, and the Tegu starts to get nervous, he will pretty much points the finger at me for a pet that's not even mine. He nearly moved out a year ago, would it be my fault still if he was alone there?

He is going through depression and disability issues, which is why he's home 24/7, so a lot of issues have to be overlooked until he's mentally better. Sadly, I feel he uses this Tegu as an excuse I'll neglect the Chinchillas and not take it serious. He signed up for raising a Tegu, and all the responsibilities as if I were not there. It no way relates to my resolve to care for and love the Chinchillas that I signed up for.

CHINCHILLA UPDATES:

So yesterday I didn't disturb them much. Resisted the temptation for another photo shoot. I wanted to test how they dealt with my hand in the cage, sans treat. The beige nibbled a bit on my fingers, but not painful. The mosaic, she nibbles a bit harder with some pain, but much more curious, climbing almost on my hand, part way on my arm, looking out the cage. The pain was concerning and researched it a bit on the forums.

I tried again later with the mosaic, this time with a Probios Probiotic Treat, broken in half, hoping she'd check my hand, accept it, and move on. I made sure I washed my hands extra good, plus hand sanitizer to reduce any scents, but I might of ended up touching some timothy hay and fresh aspen bedding (doh), plus the treat. She seemed interested in the treat, but ignored it and started moving around my hand. Nibbling was a bit hard, but acceptable, but then got a tiny bit of soft flesh on top of my thumb between her teeth and clamped hard and seemed to hold. I did my best to keep calm until letting go. There are two marks today.

I ended up giving her that treat through the bars. Once she got a good nibble on it, then she was finally interested in it. The beige saw what was going on and wanted part of the treat from her, so I quickly got her the other half in case they struggled. The beige loved it and went to what seems to be her favorite chewing spot. The mosaic enjoyed it for a while, finishing half of it, dropping it to run in the wheel. She didn't care much for rosehips either.

So after that, I decided it should be best to give the white mosaic some time form here on, with simply my presence and chatting. Also, is it possible I'm noticing the mosaic uses the wheel when she gets stressed to reduce it, from me or after startled?

Oh, the beige loves a large marble tray I added with walls. Got two for $12.99 each, double the size of a chin cooler and thicker: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1259039/charcoal-marble-tray.jsp. She sits in it with her hands on the walls, looking like like a giant puff ball staring out the cage, like my avatar drawing. She also sometimes rests her head just on the marble walls. The White mosaic hasn't seemed to notice it yet.

Glad to hear your chins are doing well! They are so cute!

My little guy has been nibbling my fingers as well, but not too hard - I've been repeating the word "gentle" to him when he starts nibbling, a little louder if he bites too hard, so hopefully with enough repetition he'll start to realize what "gentle" means. I think it's a good sign they're showing interest in us so soon!

As for your roommate, it sounds like he has some issues of his own to work through. I would just tell him that, with all due respect, the reptiles are his to care for and the chinchillas are yours, so you would appreciate it if he'd get off your back a bit.

All of my chinchillas will groom me back and at first it's was sometimes too hard. I just asked them to be gentle as advised and it's worked.

I also want to say I admire the research and care you are willing to give your girls. They are very lucky to have you and I look forward to updates with pictures when they are ready for them.

I will actually squeak, as close as I can to a bark, when one of them nips too hard. You could use "ouch!" or "no!" in a stern but still quiet tone, but these guys can be trained. Someone on here had/has a passel of them and most will go back to their cage in another room if she says "go to bed!". :D It's fascinating.

As far as the tegu goes, you didn't buy it, research it, or do anything to go about keeping it. His lizard is not your responsibility. He'd be within bounds to ask "can you spend a little time with the tegu this week? I'll be busy with X" but not just expecting you to go care for a pet you didn't want. I'm sorry he's in a rough patch, but that doesn't excuse him from not taking proper care of his pet, or trying to bully you about yours. Stay firm. You got this. ;)

Back