Chins and dogs and cats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hp7681

Is it possible for chins to interact with dogs and cats? Adopted chin two days ago. My dog makes little pig-like snorts when she's excited and she's been looking up at the cage making those sounds. One cat is really interested in the new family member and sits underneath the cage (temporary housing is up a dresser, she gets her new big chin condo next week). He's been meowing at her and she's been making little grunting noises at him. Other cat has absolutely no idea she's here. How and when do you start making introductions and can they ever be allowed to play together or be on the floor together?

You don't want to allow interaction for several reasons.
Chins are prey animals, so having them play with anything that 'hunts' is a terrible idea to start with. One swipe could leave your chin with a deadly infection. If the cat is declawed, you're still putting predator/prey together. It's no different than throwing a mouse at a snake. Even if your kitty means no harm now, they're animals... If I have learned anything from the years I've worked in a veterinary clinic, it's that animals are unpredictable.

Your other pets are also much larger than the chinchilla, so one wrong move can seriously injure the chin. Accidents happen, I had a cat break a leg off a wall. It came out of no where and even the veterinarians that I work with are shocked when I tell the story.

Each species will carry different bacteria, some of which can be harmful to chins. Rabbits for example, they carry pasteurella. It's not harmful to them but will kill a chinchilla. Even if your pets are grooming the chin, their mouths are polluted with bacteria... So that's another thing to consider.

If you want your chin to have out of cage time, keep them separate.

Against all advice, my animals have hung out together, but highly supervised. The cat is petrified of the chin. The chin is fazed by nothing. The cat hisses and hisses and finally runs away. If the cat does not know the chin is out the chin will initiate contact and tease the cat, the cat runs away. If the cat sees the cage doors open, he runs away. I will admit the cat is a little "special".
The Dog and chin have an ongoing, what I call the "High Lo game" they play while the chin is in the cage. I have seen them both start it and they play until one or the other gets bored.
If the chin is out with the dog we make sure the dog is laying between us and can't swat the chin. The chin hops all over the dog nibbling the dogs nails, whiskers, collar. The dog remains happy and still. I will say the dog does nose the chin like a squeeky toy if given the chance.

It's not advisable at all to allow chins with other animals, as said they can be unpredictable. Even if the cat like Llittlebllonde mentioned is afraid of the chin that can cause them to lash out at the chin one day. Also even if the animal isn't doing anything if the animal goes outside it can bring things in on/in it's fur and/or feet that are toxic to the chin. Also just like rabbits dogs and cats can carry pasteurella, along with other bacteria in it's mouth, so any interaction that the chin comes into contact with the saliva (from a lick, chewing on fur that has been licked, etc) or other bodily fluids (like snot from a dog's nose) can be dangerous. Unless you plan to fully bath the cats and dog before any physical interactions and have them somehow under 100% control at all times and preventing any licking of any kind it's just an accident waiting to happen. Chins are also fairly delicate, they have thin bones (about the thickness of a toothpick) that can break with little pressure so even a playful tap from a cat or even a small dog can be very harmful.

It's up to you, as it's your chin, if you want to take the very risky chance with the chin, but I don't see it worth the risk. I allow my cats and 2 of my 3 dogs (one wants to eat them) in the same room, when I'm in here and with the chins in their cage, but not when they are out of the cage and the room door is closed when I am not in here.

Back