Chinchillas in Modern Life (**LONG READ**)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamanalo

MCBA Member
After being away for so long I've come to this forum and have noticed things to be very different as I don't see as many familiar names. I started revising a book and I was asking a breeder for insight when the breeder asked me, "hey there, who are you anyways?". I then wrote back thinking that this man has no idea who I am because Ive been away from Chinchillas for the past few years. In the response I posted I wanted everyone to read it in likes of imaging you don't know me. And well if you do, or have heard of me, I did so much irresponsible breeding practices when I was younger. I started in chinchillas at the tender age of 16. Irresponsibility is something inevitable at that age with being careless and well, young. Now I'm 20 years old and have learned many mistakes. Please read this response letter I wrote to this fellow breeder, as I was hoping it would be intended to all those I've met and those I want to meet in the chinchilla industry.

"O hey there,
Sorry for my negligence, I’m Jordan Manalo. I have been breeding show animals since 2006, not long but in those years I showed intensively for 2 years. I attended many MI chapter, NE chapter, OHIO chapter shows; anything near my area. At my fourth show, which was the MI chapter show, I was awarded Junior Breeder. Shortly after that, in early 2008 I sold my entire herd in likes of getting an education; I was only 17 at the time. So for 2 years I lived in the Philippines and visited home (Burlington Canada) for 2 months at a time. Now I’m done that chapter in my life, and currently am back home in Canada. I currently am working and getting this started with my real life, and now that I am in a position where I can start successfully breeding show animals, I am planning to. I have spoken with Julie and Robin Ouderkirk and they do know of me; I touched base with Julie regarding me getting into judging. I have spent my time in the Philippines only reading of chinchillas. Never did I see one, or own one simply because there were no chinchillas in the Philippines. The knowledge I have learned though reading old passages from past ranchers in issues I have from the 40’s to 80’s ECBC magazines, chinchilla journal, NCBC newsletters, etc. have basically explained what has happened from before I was born, and since I stay up to date these days, It’s very regarding to find myself feeling as though I have knowledge that I want to share. The only thing I was able to realize, was that for people like me, trying to start breeding for show animals, there is nothing out there as a reference for us other than attending shows and getting a newsletter we can try our hardest to understand. Then I found a grading booklet course in that bundle of really old magazines and newsletters. It was the “Chinchilla Standard Grading System, by the International Chinchilla Headquarters Inc. “ This course was amazing. It was a course about how to grade animals, the imperfections to look out for, the species of chinchilla, the fur fibre and how much of it actually makes the difference in the quality of the animal, etc. The only thing that this book lacked was modernity. The book has no actual dates written on it, however pictures inside are copied pictures in the latest NCBC newsletter of 1967, so it’s fairly old. Things have changed so I decided to update it with including mutation animals and as much of the quality we look for. None of the material I own, as the original idea was the I.C.H, but it needed to be updated. The idea of the course was perfect, especially for someone like me; a younger aged person, interested in bettering a small part of the chinchilla industry. So after, I added what needed to be added, like the photographs, updating terminology, updating ratios, etc. I have what I feel is one of the best chinchilla resources for a quality chinchilla breeder to read in order to help rebuild today’s chinchilla industry, because we all know it, the industry has fallen very pet associated. Pets are not really the issue, compared to the animals in circulation. Top quality animals are so hard to be found amongst the widely spread low end chinchillas as a result of improper breeding of low grade animals. The book is in helps to pick it up slowly but definitely in hopes of becoming a recognized resource for all associations. The book is in hopes of becoming a reliable Chinchilla Resource that was not possible without other ranchers and responsible breeders that worked in a cumulative effort in stepping up the quality in today’s chinchilla industry.
That’s the just about me, Jordan Manalo, as per chinchilla world. In October I'm looking on rebuilding my new quality herd, I have not owned chinchillas since selling out in 2008.
I’m so sorry for it being long, but hopefully I answered your question!
Thanks
-Jordan Manalo, Orchard Chinchillas"

I just wanted you guys to see it because yea, its been a crazy few months trying jump back into chinchillas, but my intentions this time are so different from what they were 4 years ago. Ive learned so much in the past years and I simply want to officially let everyone know of who I am because as creepy as it sounds, in the years I lived in the Philippines I've been "lurking" these forums and so many of your websites. Basically, I know more about you than what you know of me. creepy I know hahahaha
thanks for reading guys!

Last edited:
Back