Chinchilla with allergies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

Does anyone have any experience with a chinchilla with allergies? I just got back from the vet with my chinchilla, Phoebe, who has been diagnosed with allergies. Every March for the past 2 years, she has been to the vet for a watery eye, that will crust in the corner. My vet thinks she has allergies because she is not exhibiting any other unusual behavior or problems. Spring time seems to be the trigger for her allergies, as does dust, and hay. What do you suggest I do for her? I use blue cloud dust, would it be better to switch to a different dust? I think i'm going to alternate regular hay with pressed hay cubes, as she absolutely loves her timothy hay loose. What other things can change so she has less allergies? I bought normal saline to wash out her eyes and the vet also gave me some eye drops for when they get the worst.

I myself have severe allergies, so I actually have 2 air purifiers in my small 800 sq foot apartment and I can only use HEPA filters in my furnace.

Back