Chinchilla Quality

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamanalo

MCBA Member
Hey guys,
Im making a very specific and intensive chinchilla Live animal Grading course booklet. I'm working a racher here in canada to finalize everything. They have a course booklet and its amazing...however it is a bit old so it needs some revamping and updating. It says largest animals are 680g...well look how times have changed!
Im looking for the following pictures. We only want shots that are on white backrounds to see the true colour of the animals, and obviously nothing blurry. Pics should be as large of a format as possible so we can resize without pixel damage. If we do use your picture you will get a free copy of this grading course, as well as a 1/4 page advertisement for your company or for your rescue org.
We need:
-Brevicaudata Animals(above shots and side)
-Lanigera animals(Above shots and side)
-Costina Animals(above Shots and side)
-Red Animals(prefer ebony or blacks if possible)
-Oxidized Beiges
-Bad Neck Conformation
-Splotchy and Uneven Veiling
-Priming Lines
-choppy texture
-Wooly texture
-Crisp white belly shot
-Dirty belly shot(not an animal with ebony)

Thanks guys!!! I will check off what pics we do have. If you want to give pics under confidentiality, thats understandable as well. This is all for educating us fellow breeders.

If you're interested in a copy of the course, just hold onto your seats for a little longer! haha It's on its way...final touches are coming along!

thanks again

Brevicaudata are extinct. You won't get pictures of them. You can get pictures of fat, short faced chinchillas, but they are not brevicaudata. The main chinchilla in the states, Canada and Europe are Lanigera with possibly a few costina mixed in. Maybe you mean you want pictures of different body types?

If you check out Wikipedia you'll find they have photos of the different types. Brevicudata haven't been seen in the wild but are still bred true to type in some zoos.

Most anything you get in a herd these days is a mix of all three types though scientifically it's two types with lanigeria having three subtypes, one of them is costina. Wikipedia is your friend. :))

yea spoof thats what we were thinking because the whole cross breeding. Thats why Im asking if anyone has something close enough to it because I want a good quality pic.
O spoof, Can I pretty please use that priming pic for the book? Its peerrrffeccct
PM me...you have wicked pics...i like the TOV violet belly too...I'll pm you about pics

@tabitha
Yea we know they are very rare, however breeders still throw around the term "brevi" type highlighting parts of the animal like the small ears, stocky body etc. Since the book is from the 60's we're looking to revamp all the terms to todays modern day. We want to bridge the differences because the animals arent brevicaudata anymore, but since we still here it today I want to just touch upon it. There are some Chinchilla.com of Brevi-type animals and thats the basis that we want to touch upon..the characteristics and such. thanks!

I don't know about J but one thing with wiki is it's not guaranteed info.

What all will the book have in it? I'm pretty curious about it.

Ok so this is the just of it. Back in the 60's(may be earlier, the ranchers just guesstimated because there isnt a copy write or print date on it) But from the looks of the pics its around then. Early to mid 60's. It explains everything that has to do with grading chinchillas, from correct luster, veiling, texture, density, guard hair, underfur etc etc All terms that even pet owners can use to just learn a bit more about how complex chinchilla breeding is. It has grades #1-#5 in each category, #1 being the highest. Some categories are conformation, texture, clarity, color phase, size, bar clarity, etc. You go through this chart and check off what the animal is. But before doing this you obviously need to read the course booklet and know what you're looking for. I would also suggest not to bank off of this as a grading of a chinchilla because a rancher knows a lot more about chins to what you think youre looking at. After all is done and checks are put in the "gradings" like checking off #2 for colour, #1 for size etc etc you build up an average and thats how pelt were judged before. So you would have a grade on a live animal. Even if you are not to grade your animal with the system, what I have learned about through the course, is nothing people have posted on this site. Like something like this,(maybe im the only one that didnt know this...haha) Only animals of similar color phases should be mated to one another, cross breedings dark to lights produces heterozygous assortment of colors in the offspring. Its really smart because many people focus on standard and black etc, but to be able to specialize in a color phase can greater your chances of having a high quality animal. just a cool FYI/suspense I thought I'd leave you with nicole because i know how much you want to see this book!!! haha
But i'll let everyone know when its complete.
Here are pics i'm still in need of:
-Brevicaudata Animals(above shots and side)
-Lanigera animals(Above shots and side)
-Costina Animals(above Shots and side)
-Oxidized Beiges
-Bad Neck Conformation
-Wooly texture
-Dirty belly shot(not an animal with ebony)

Back