Chinchilla plays too rough

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrian_knight

The daughter of my mother/daughter duo plays too rough with her mother sometimes. I sometimes hear the mother yelping after the daughter has pounced on her. Is there something I should do to distract that? The mother is obviously the submissive chin.

What do you mean by yelping? Is it like a kack or a high pitched cry? One is a defensive warning and one is very fearful/in pain. Its important for us to know which is which. We have a section on here with the chinchilla sounds. Check it out and let us know. Either way if your sensing she is afraid or stressed maybe it is time to seperate them?
It depends a lot on how often this is happening

It's not a kack but a high pitched cry. I checked sounds and I can't really find it. It only happens once and a while when Mom doesn't want to play. Every time I go check, she looks fine. She hasn't warmed up to me which is another issue.

I'm afraid this might be her pain cry. I think even though she hasn't warmed up its important to get her out to do a once over. Some chins do it to fend off predators or when they are scared but I woudl say more so when they're in pain ...I would check her out in case

I sometimes hear the mother yelping after the daughter has pounced on her.
This is normal baby/adult behavior. The mom is not in any distress and is teaching the baby the limitations of what is acceptable behavior and rough housing.

You don't need to intervene at all, just let mom be a good mom and teach the baby.

Oh right... That's possible too;).... did I mention I'm overly cautious and paranoid :p
Sometimes I need the chin parent veterans to ground me
How old are they ?

Back