Chinchilla having short fits of grogginess

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrils

Hi. I have a 3 year old single male chinchilla who I have witnessed have 3 of these weird fits. The first one i noticed was about three months ago, the second was 3 days ago, and the last one was about an hour ago.

It tends to happen around the same time of night (8pm) and he kind of puts his head down, limps over to a corner and lays down. He is not rigid nor does he twitch. Because I freak out, I try to pick him up, and he barely fights me (normally he runs). The very first time, he started eating a rosehip and then he had the fit. It lasts for about two minutes. When it's over he is back to himself again.

He is typically happy, eats well, and the vet says he's healthy (per 6 months ago). I took him there because his ear occasionally flicks when he eats carrots and was afraid of malocclusion. It has not worsened since this started happening a 2 years ago. Vet told me not to worry about it

I'm going to take him to the vet this week, but does anybody have any suggestions of what it could be or what I could do? I have not witnessed him ever injuring his head.

I have provided a picture of it happening the first time, slumped and sad looking in the grass bowl.

Thank you for your reading this.

Attachments

• chinnyfit.jpg
    chinnyfit.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 53
Sounds like a seizure. They don't always twitch when having one.

What's the temperature at your place like? Overheating could be another possibility....

It does kind of sound like a mild seizure, possibly as Newt said from overheating if the temp is high or warm, but you also mentioned he eats carrots. The odd behavior could be caused my high blood sugar, chin's shouldn't have fruits and vegetables since they are too high in sugars, chinchillas can't process sugars very well, it's easiest to think of them as diabetic. If it is a seizure, the same time of night could be do to him eating his evening meal around the same time, he eats, his sugar level rises and if it gets too high (from sugary treats too frequently for example) he seizes.

The temperature in my house is in the 60s. Also he doesn't eat carrots and only gets one chin friendly treat (bought from Ronda) about every other day. If its a mild seizure, what can I do to prevent it ? And what is the outlook of chins that have this ? Breaks my heart when I see him do this

Last edited:
How much does he weigh? Is he underweight? What was his activity level before the episodes? Was he super active or just normal? The one chin I have had sieze was due to low blood sugar and it would happen after he had run hard in his wheel or played extra hard. His problem is malo and since I've fattened him up and make sure he eats enough, he hasn't had another.

I can't emember his weight but 6 months ago at the vet it was normal. If anything he has put on some weight (which is good because over a year ago he broke his foot, causing him to lose weight, and has fully recovered since then ). So far his fits have not occurred after playtime or lots of wheel running. His activity level before seizing normal/low because he is still sleepy. He doesn't become super active until about 9pm. No other signs of possible malo except occasional ear flicks when eating pellets. Never got dental xray before

Just took him to the vet. His heart sounds fine, his teeth look good. She suggested blood work but assumed that it would most likely be fine so I opted out of it. She suggested I document any of these episodes and that if it worsens or becomes more frequent to treat him with phenobarbital.

Other than that.. he's quite overweight. 710g as opposed to 550g last May, so we're lowering his pellets from 2tbsp to 1tbsp daily. I blame it on me not taking him out to play as frequently as before, and my dad sneaking him treats.

Weight honestly depends on the chin's relative size. Blockier chins should weigh more than petite chins. It just depends on their body type.

I took him there because his ear occasionally flicks when he eats carrots

You said this in your original post, but then said he doesn't eat carrots? Which is it?
Any treats can cause spikes in blood sugar, but fruits/vegetables are the worst.

I personally would also have the blood work done as a precaution and to rule out anything like diabetes or anemia. Even though the vet feels it would come back normal, it's better safe than sorry.

Oops! He does not eat carrots. I meant to type pellets! Gonna fix that, sorry for the confusion. He eats everything approved on this website - oxbow pellets and timothy/orchard hay and occasional treats ordered from Ronda.

Edit: I can't edit it anymore :( whytheheckdiditypecarrots

Vet said he's a bit overweight. He has gained like 150g since May.

Last edited:
Back